DirecTivo constant reboots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DirecTivo constant reboots

Having a strange freeze and reboot problem with an SD-DVR40.

It reboots more or less constantly whenever I go into the "now playing" menu or usually when I use the DirecTV menu bottom, and occasionally when I try to press the record button or just normal channel changing. You can tell it is about to happen: you try to enter a menu or whatever and there is the usual chirp but nothing else happens, like there is a lag going on, and then bam, it reboots.

If there is a loss of signal for example during a storm, then the unit will lock up or reboot as well.

Here's a history of what has already been tried: This unit was originally a 40GB, later upgraded to 80, and then to 320 over a period of many years. No issues at all. It has always been plugged into a UPS. It had two tuner feeds during this time, but the reboot didn't start happening until recently. First it would freeze during the loss of signal incidents so we tried going to one tuner feed only. That seemed to help a little. Replaced the LNB. No change.

Then we ordered a replacement power supply from WK. This didn't seem to make any major difference but the old PSU did seem worn out once I had it out and got a look at it.

Then we replaced the 320 Seagate IDE drive with a 500GB Samsung SATA using an IDE to SATA converter. Other than giving much-needed space, this didn't help at all, and actually the rebooting problem got much worse.

With the 500 installed, the DVR rebooted so often, we eventually got into a GSOD loop and it will do nothing else. Ran a full SpinRite level 2 scan on it and detected zero problems but clearly there is some sort of data corruption issue there. It looks like the Tivo boot partition is corrupted. I don't know enough about Tivo data to fix it.

Luckily the old 320 drive was still working and we're currently back using it to watch TV. But the reboots continue and are happening more and more often. Season Passes are not working because the box reboots when it changes channels and tries to record something.

Any ideas what else we can try?

Thanks!

Patrick

See:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=458245

Comment

Oh my.

Not good news but something.

Thanks!

Comment

These problems do seem to be slowing down, although we haven't heard of a firm resolution.

You might try a "clear and delete guide data" as that seems to be helping some people.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X