Digital Antenna with series 2 tivo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Antenna with series 2 tivo

I only use an ampilfied digital antenna to get TV reception (IE no cable or Sat). The local channels in my area are broadcast in digital and the annalog signal is not very strong for some of the stations. I get great reception when I connect the antenna to the my Sony HD TV (it has a built in digital tuner), but the reception using the Tivo series 2 (40 hr model about 1+ years old) is barely viewable for some of the channels (assume because the TIVO only has an annalog tuner?) I am not about to spend the $700 to buy the series 3 TIVO especially since when you include the additional monthly service fee it will take several years to break even compared to an HD DVR from the cable company). (Side note: how is TIVO competing with the cable companies when they want you to buy a box that cost $700, and the cable companies rent or give to you for a fraction of the cost..)

My question is, is there any way to connect the antenna to the tv then to the TIVO so I can see a better picture when recording and viewing through TIVO? I currently hook up the antenna to the TV (antenna input) as well as the TIVO using a splitter and then connect the TIVO to the vidoe 1 TV input. This allows me to record one show and watch another using the different video inputs on the TV. I would really like to keep this functionality if possible.

I also have a VCR I can incorporate into the setup if needed.

Any suggestions / instructions how to do this? Please help,
    Thanks,

Because the TiVo needs to tune in the signal from the antenna, there's no way to loop it through your television first. However, you might try either picking up an amplifier for your antenna signal to boost the reception or consider replacing the antenna with a more powerful model. We use antennaweb.org to determine how which antenna is right for a customer's specific location.
    That's all there is to it!

Comment

I am currently using a Jensen tv911 HDTV compatible antenna. "Recessed Variable Gain Control (up to 25 dB) for improved signal reception ". Is there a stronger indoor antenna I could look into. The antennaweb.org site is helpful.. According to the site, the worse reception channel I get needs a "green uhf". I can't see anything with my antenna that mentions the colors at all. Would an outdoor antenna be much more powerful? All the other stations have a good picture in tivo and a great picture straight through the tv. Any suggestions?

Comment

We happen to like the Winegard SquareShooter...a couple of steps up from the Jensen model you're using, but it can either be mounted in the attic or on the roof and requires minimal assembly.
        That's all there is to it!

Comment

I am using a digital antenna with a series 2. Since my tv is an old tube set, I need a digital to analog converter. Which converters work best with this configuration? I am sure people here have opinions.

Comment

Please see the other thread.
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
              Please see the other thread.
              i'm in the same situation as ringtone. ditched my cable, would like a way to continue using my Series 2 with an antenna.

help a brother out: is there a link to 'the other thread'?

Comment

You need a digital to analog antenna converter box.
                Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
                X