Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Install - Few quick questions

Hello,

I have just a few questions I hope you can clarify. Thank you in advance for any help.

I've had DirecTV since 1995. I installed everything myself from day one. First the 18" single LNB, then the Oval triple LNB for my locals. I just enjoy the work and it is satisfying to me to accomplish something. With that said, I'm attempting to upgrade everything for HD.

I currently have 2 Hughes SD40 DVR's (from WeaKnees, thanks!) and an old Sony Receiver. I will be replacing everything and moving it all to HD. My questions are:

1) From a technicial standpoint, I have no concerns. But, will I encounter any issues from DTV by self-installing everything? Provided I have my dish installed and peaked, will DTV allow me to activate everything myself (receivers, MRV, etc)?

2) I currently have 4 coax leads from my dish location but am still planning to purchase a SWM LNB dish. It just seems to me to be the best option. I'll only EVER have a max of 3 DVR's and 1 receiver. We just don't have enough rooms in our house to have any more! Every cable in the house is home-run to a central location where the dish leads are and where I have an ethernet switch. Any thoughts on SWM LNB vs. SWM-8?

3) If I go SWM dish and am purchasing 2 HR24's and 1 H24 and will have NO other equipment (legacy), then all I need is:
    -SWM dish (includes power injector, right?) I need 5LNB for my locals in Roanoke, Va
    -SWS-8 splitter or similar
    -DECA Router Package at splitter for internet

Anything else??

4) Some of my current coax has twist-on F connectors. Is it critical that these be replaced with compression connectors?

5) Currently my existing oval triple LNB dish (phase III I think...)is mounted to my house. It is just starting to touch the wall on one side due to having to turn it to see 119. Will the new dish work in this location or is it enough larger than my dish that it will hit the house wall before I can see 119? I know this my be a hard question to answer, but I guess I'm trying to compare sizes.

Thank you very much in advance for any advice.

Chris

1. You should not have a problem if everything is installed properly.
    2. In your situation, it's probably a toss-up.
    3. Nothing else that I can think of.
    4. Not critical unless/until you have signal problems.
    5. I can't tell you this, unfortunately. You'd have to try to see.

good luck!

Comment

Thank you, will give it a shot! I think I'll re-terminate the coax just to be safe.

I'll be placing my order soon.
      Chris

Comment

Working...
      X