HD10-250 Reboots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD10-250 Reboots

I bought my DVR model HD10-250 in September of O4. Very shortly after that I added a second drive from Weaknees to extend it to 70 hours. It has been running perfectly. Early 06 I started getting messages from Direct TV that soon I would be getting a new operating system upgrade. I was on vacation at the end of June when it finally upgraded. After that my unit started to reboot on it's own. At first it might happen several times in an evening. If it happened while recording then I would get only partial recording. It seemed to get better but now and then while watching the unit will reboot. There has been power problems in my area so I added a UPS. I thought this would stop the problem but it did not, last week it rebooted again. I figured this was due to the operating system upgrade but as I don't see a lot of information on the forum about this issue I am thinking it might be something else. I have two sat inputs and and antenna. My output is composite and audio. No other connections.

HD10-250 Reboot Question

My unit still seems to reboot on occasion. It is not too often maybe 2 or three times a month. I left more information in my previous message.

Could this be a power supply problem? For the most part the unit runs just fine. Once in awhile there are pops and buzzing in the sound and some breakup but I always figured this was a problem from the transmitter.

Power supply seems the most logical problem but as it is not constant I can't be sure. My drives seem fine. Can anyone give me some help or information?

Thanks,

Ron

Comment

That's most likely a hard drive problem. The system reboots when it can't read data off of a hard drive repetitively. You should try a "replace" kit from here:

http://www.weaknees.com/hr10.php
      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Am I right to assume that I would need to replace both drives in my HD system?

Comment

Yes, you'd pull out both and install this one new one.

Comment

Thanks

Great, that answers my questions. If I choose to install a single drive rather than two like I have in my system, I can see I can have even more capacity. I have two drives in the unit now as I added a Weaknees drive just after I got the unit. Would I just install it replacing the original drive where it is now and leave the cables to the second drive just not connected? I would think I could leave everything else like it is now with the second fan and all.

Thanks again

Comment

Right - you would replace the Master drive and then you'd leave the other drive disconnected, or just remove it. We'd opt for removing it entirely, and just leaving the other cable ends disconnected.

Comment

Perfect

Great, thanks for the information. You gave me what I needed to take care of the problem.

Ron

Comment

Replaced the drives

I replaced the drives in my HR10-250 to correct the problem of the reboot. As I said in my other message I had installed a two drive upgrade to 70 hours and my system had started to reboot on it's own. After getting information on this forum I installed two new weaKnees drives so I know have 130 hours. This part is nice. Everything seemed to be working fine till last week when my system rebooted! To this point it has only happend once but that was the original problem so of course I now suspect that the problem is not solved.

I like my HD tivo and really want to make it work properly. Do you think I have a problem with the new drives? Should I sent my unit in for help with this?

Thanks

Comment

Sometimes reboots are for good reasons, like system updates. Was it while you were watching TV, or was it in the middle of the night?

Comment

It was while watching a program recorded on the tivo. There was no recording going on at the time. Once the system completed the reboot the unit worked normally. Prior to replacing the drives it would do this exact thing once a week or so. Sometimes more sometimes less. So far with the new drives it has only happened the one time.
                      Last edited by Ron; 06-01-2007, 10:00 PM.

Comment

I would say that you should keep an eye out...if it doesn't happen again, then I would not be concerned. If it happens repeatedly, then let us know.

Comment

Thanks Jeff, just wanted to get it on the record. Will do as you say and see what happens.

Comment

OK - report back if it happens, and we can go further.

Comment

Can I jump in? I have the same problem. I purchased a used unit and added a WeakKnees hard drive, so I'm assuming that drive is OK. I started getting the re-boots and replaced the power supply. That helped for a while, but now its back - several times a week, while watching and recording - it doesn't seem to care. I've enhanced the cooling and added a UPS. There was a mention that the Series 3 may have an issue with an external antenna. I have a old antenna, but I still get good HD reception/recordings from it. Could that be a problem? I have many programs recorded. If I have to replace a hard drive, how do I tell which one (start with the original?) and how do I save the contents of that drive?

Comment

Working...
                              X