Dual Coax to SWM connection....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Coax to SWM connection....

Apologies if this is a repeat question - I've searched the forum for a posting with similar circumstances, but have come up empty....

I have a 2008 DirecTV installation that comprises an unknown model of dish connected to a HR22 DVR via a pair of coax cables, each line having a B-band converter.

Everything I've read, and all the online wiring diagrams I've looked at, refer to installs that use a 4 cable dish-to-SWM connection - is there a way that I can use my two cable drop to attach to the SWM8 or am I hosed??

If it is possible, which SWM8 input terminals do I hook up to, and if not possible, any thoughts on a cost-effective "Plan B" would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Dave

You can just locate the SWM8 outside, near the dish, and that way you can get all four cables from the dish to the SWM. Then, the power inserter can go inside.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Michael, as ever, thanks for the amazingly fast reply.

I wondered if relocating the SWM was going to be my best option. The one downside I see is that I had intended to locate the unit where I could easily connect it to an OTA feed and have it well positioned for adding extra receivers at a later date - obviously situating it next to the actual dish precludes some of these plans.

I may bite the bullet and run another coax pair to the dish to achieve the full 4-cable complement. I take it you feel that my dish has the capability to handle the 4 wire hookup? [Did I lose anything by the installers only using a single coax pair? I have full two-tuner HD and local services.]

Out of interest, if I didn't use the SWM, how would the 4 coax cables connect to my DVR - I only have the two coax terminals on the back of the box?

Thanks again for all your help,

Dave

Comment

Each DVR, without a SWM, requires 2 dedicated lines from your dish. So if you have only 1 DVR, you use only 2 lines. If you have 2 DVRs, you use 4 (2 per DVR). This is how wiring is done without a SWM.

Comment

Cool - thanks for indulging my questions.

Dave

Comment

Just to round this one out - I ran two new pairs of coax from the dish, connected the SWM8 (including OTA feed) and ran the single coax up to my DVR. Everything worked out perfectly! [Dish to SWM8 was about 170' and then another 60' back up to the DVR]

The DVR went through its regular start-up routine and I immediately had full functionality. Just perfect.

This unit, coupled with the accurate and responsive supoort from Michael and Jeff, is just brilliant! Highly recommended!!

Comment

That 170' is a long distance between dish and SWM. If you ever have issues with signal quality and other error messages, that would be the first place to check. But if it's working, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Comment

Yup - I realize that the 170' is pushing my luck a bit, but it's the shortest I can make it between the chimney-mounted dish and my equipment rack. I did use a single run (no joins) of high spec coax and took extra care with the connectors - hopefully that will compensate for the length of run.

In the short time (less than one week) the SWM8 has been installed, it has been exposed to temps of almost 80 degrees, 50 mph winds, 3 inches of rain, and now the dish is covered in snow - and the performance of the whole system has been rock solid throughout! Ah, life in the Silicon Valley hills!

Thanks again for all your help.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
                  That 170' is a long distance between dish and SWM. If you ever have issues with signal quality and other error messages, that would be the first place to check. But if it's working, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.
                  we ran a swm from the roof on 32nd floor of a hotel to the 20th floor to the pi & a 4 way then another 50 to 75 feet to 3 rooms

about 270 feet or better total run ...it is temporary for a few months while they shoot a movie here ....

we also have a non swm in a business building runnint from 36th floor roof to 18th floor to a 16 way powered switch running a rack of 10 recvrs & 4 other recvrs 100 ft further ...

Comment

Originally posted by ebmsjml View Post
                    we ran a swm from the roof on 32nd floor of a hotel to the 20th floor to the pi & a 4 way then another 50 to 75 feet to 3 rooms

about 270 feet or better total run ...it is temporary for a few months while they shoot a movie here ....

we also have a non swm in a business building runnint from 36th floor roof to 18th floor to a 16 way powered switch running a rack of 10 recvrs & 4 other recvrs 100 ft further ...
                    You must have a much longer ladder than I do!

Comment

Originally posted by DGF View Post
                      You must have a much longer ladder than I do!

lots larger !!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X