Channel changes by itself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Channel changes by itself

My boxes have started randomly changing channels and will occasionally display a 771 message. There are 3 receivers installed: 1 HR23, 1 H23, and 1 D12. About 2 months ago I installed a SWM8 and power inserter that I bought used. The system had been working perfectly until about 3 days ago.

The "channel change" isn't like a normal change. The picture will freeze for a second and then start displaying the audio and video from another channel. Then a few moments later it will go back to the correct audio and video.

It was very bad a day ago so I moved things around and moved the power inserter closer to the SWM. It was in the basement with the SWM in the attic. Now it's only about 20 "cable feet" away from the SWM and it's behaving a lot better. It now only randomly switches channels once every 30 minutes or so.

I'm wondering if you think either the SWM or power inserter have gone bad.

Thanks.

Ray

Is it happening on all units? What is the exact model number of the power supply?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I've noticed it on the HR23 and the H23. I haven't seen it happen on the D21. Though I don't watch that one often. I'm not sure of the power inserter model. I'll check it when I get home. I have a PI-21 at my office and the one I have at home looks nothing like that. The PI-21 is black and the one at home is grey.

Thanks,

Ray

Comment

Hopefully, it's a PI-29. The PI-21 is for a SWM LNB only.

Comment

According to the sticker it's a PI-28.

Ray

Comment

OK - that's the older model. That's compatible.

How long is the longest run?

Comment

I've attached a drawing showing approximate cable lengths.

I performed a SWM reset procedure that I found somewhere online. I disconnected all boxes from AC power and then I disconnected the PI. I left it disconnected for about an hour and then reconnected the PI and the H23 that is connected to it. I then ran through the Satellite Setup. The box recognized the SWM. I looked at the signal strength. On Sat 101* and others I noticed that if I watched for a while, transponders would drop from 95 or higher to 0 and then come right back to the original high reading. Not too sure what that might mean.

When I was watching TV after the "SWM reset" it behaved the same as it did before and was tuning to a different channel by itself. I then hooked up the other 2 boxes and saw the same behavior on those.

Ray
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rayray View Post
                I've attached a drawing showing approximate cable lengths.

I performed a SWM reset procedure that I found somewhere online. I disconnected all boxes from AC power and then I disconnected the PI. I left it disconnected for about an hour and then reconnected the PI and the H23 that is connected to it. I then ran through the Satellite Setup. The box recognized the SWM. I looked at the signal strength. On Sat 101* and others I noticed that if I watched for a while, transponders would drop from 95 or higher to 0 and then come right back to the original high reading. Not too sure what that might mean.

When I was watching TV after the "SWM reset" it behaved the same as it did before and was tuning to a different channel by itself. I then hooked up the other 2 boxes and saw the same behavior on those.

Ray

it sounds like you may be loosing a sat ... did you see a different channel # come up or did you see just different program....

i have seen before that if i lost the sat b ...119 for my locals ... it would pull program off the 101 & show a different show ...

this was using a phase 3 dish ... what was happening was i was not getting the 22khz tone to trigger the switch to switch to the 119 ...

it showed the correct listing on the menu on top ... but the program was different...

you might want to check first & see if you might have bad connections at the dish or at the input of the switch ... fine hairs or bad wiring will cause odd problems ... also be sure that your connectors are very snug & that you have a good grn on the system...also ... improper house wiring will also cause grn loops ... another odd problem ... you might want to get a socket tester & verfy all your socket wiring....

Comment

Yes, it is another program that is displayed. The box doesn't act like the channel has been changed.

I'm wondering if it could be a polarity lock problem. Would a bad SWM or PI cause that? I'm pretty sure the cabling is good. Except for the lines to the dish from the SWM, I installed it all myself using really good cable (swept to 4.5GHz) and high quality fittings.

Comment

You really don't have so much cabling in the system that you should lose polarity lock - especially since the runs from the dish to the SWM are relatively short.

I'd check those cables for shorts or breakage. That seems like the best bet for finding the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
                      You really don't have so much cabling in the system that you should lose polarity lock - especially since the runs from the dish to the SWM are relatively short.

I'd check those cables for shorts or breakage. That seems like the best bet for finding the problem.
                      what about too high gain.... but i thought that the swm 8 had a auto gain control on it ....maybe lines too short .....??????????????????

Comment

Originally posted by ebmsjml View Post
                        what about too high gain.... but i thought that the swm 8 had a auto gain control on it ....maybe lines too short .....??????????????????
                        I haven't seen it without an amp in the system. But I guess it's theoretically possible.

Comment

So just for fun I decided to pull the SWM out of the mix completely. I reset all the boxes to Multiswitch. With the SWM removed everything works fine. I can only use 1 tuner on the HR23, but it all works without any dropouts. Would this still point to the wiring or would it likely be the SWM/PI?

Comment

Strangely enough, after removing the SWM another weird problem was resolved. My wife was having an issue with her Wacom tablet. The cursor had started wiggling all over the place whenever she tried to use the tablet. Once the SWM was pulled everything stabilized. The Wacom tablet uses RF to communicate with the pen. I dunno what that could mean.

Comment

Sounds like crazy interference. Yes, that could be a wiring issue, but you might start with a new power inserter.

Comment

Working...
                              X