Do I Need This?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I Need This?

When I transitioned from two DirecTivos to two HR23-700 HD DVRs, I had D* replace my dish with a 5-LNB HD capable dish. When the installer finished the dish installation, he re-used the DirecTiVo RG6 cables; two cables connected to each HR23. The HR23s are on separate floors (about 50 feet apart). Setup and operation went fine for both DVRs. The installer never mentioned anything about SWiM and I still have no clue as to what that is.

As an early adopter of MRV beta, I had no trouble getting MRV to work by just running CAT5E between the two HR23 boxes. After setting up static IPs and manually defining port forwarding port values, MRV has worked just fine through several iterations of software connected in this way. Of course, I had to sign up for the $3 MRV charge, but I'm still using the unsupported method for MRV.

I also have Internet connectivity for both HR23s through a CAT5E cable from router/gateway connection to one of the HR23s. I have VOD capability on both DVRs.

So my current setup is dish->2 RG6 cables->HR23 for each DVR. Then I have router/gateway->CAT5E->HR23 #1 network port 1 (top), HR23 #1->CAT5E from network port 2 (bottom)->HR23 #2 network port 1 (top).

When I went to the WeaKnees MRV configurator and entered my setup, it appears I need a DirecTV DECA Adapter for each HR23, a DirecTV DECA Router Package, and a DirecTV Band Stop Filter for what I assume would be a DirecTV "approved" setup. I'm not 100% sure this is the correct type and quantity of equipment I would need.

My question is: What does adding this equipment bring to the table except more compexity? If someone can convince me as to the added value of this stuff, I'd be happy to buy it at the same time realizing that DirecTv will likely claim this as leased equipment.

In addition to what you need from the configurator, you need a SWM8.

Is your MRV working now? If yes, you're lucky...it may not last.

Comment

Is a SWM8 the LNB that is needed at the dish to allow single wire operation? If so I'll just get DirecTV to make the mod.

Yes MRV and VOD has worked worked very well with my hook-up for over a year now.

Comment

Well, a SWM8 is one way to get SWM, and a SWM LNB is another. Either will do the trick for you, so if DTV will install one for free, take it.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thank you for that info.

Comment

Working...
          X