Convert internal drive to external?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert internal drive to external?

I had a Tivo HD 652160. It was configured with a WD 500GB expander. I was having a number of problems with it; locking up, stuttering, failing to boot intermittently, etc.

I decided to purchase one of your 750GB internal drives. That seemed to fix most of the problems except for ocassional audio stuttering on live programs only.

40 days later the Tivo totally died, green light and and fan on, but nothing else. I opted to have Tivo exchange the unit since it had lifetime activation. Since installing the drive in the exchange unit would void the warranty I'm stuck as to what to do with the 750GB drive.

Is it possible to install the 750GB in the WD 500GB expander and use it as an external drive, or do the partitions that are already on the 750 drive prevent it from reformatting and working as an external drive.

Thanks

Unfortunately you are not going to be able to do that and have the drive work automatically. You'd have to send the drive to us to have it paired with the internal drive. Also, those WD expanders are easy to get apart, but getting the rubber seal back on is a nightmare.

Comment

Both I and the drive can live without the rubber seal. I'm just trying to come up with a way to use the 750 with voiding the warranty on the replacement Tivo or shipping the Tivo to you. Any other options?

Comment

Nope - it really would need to come here for formatting, along with the TiVo.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X