HR20 w/ Externaol Drive - Menu, Guide, and Channel Changing Delay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HR20 w/ Externaol Drive - Menu, Guide, and Channel Changing Delay

I have an HR20 with a 750GB External drive from Weaknees that is giving me some trouble recently.

(FYI: I started using the external drive in March of 2010 to replace a bad drive and have all my components on a UPS.)

About two weeks ago, I have started having some trouble with the receiver occasionally lagging when commanded.

1. When I change a channel, the blue info bar will change to the desired channel, but, the screen will be black sometimes for up to 15 seconds (or more) before the program comes on.

2. The guide or list menu will not come up for 5 seconds or more when commanded.

3. When scrolling the guide menu by pushing the Chan/- button, the bottom title on the guide will highlight, but, the page will not scroll for 5 seconds or more.

Can I somehow reset the HR20 and the hard drive to fix this problem, or is there something else I can do?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.
    Steve
    Last edited by Blacknumber3; 07-02-2011, 08:29 AM. Reason: extra info/spelling

Well, one good test of whether it's a hard drive problem would be to just shut down the DVR and the external, and power up the DVR without the external. Then, it'll use its internal drive, and if you still see the problems, you'll know they aren't drive-related.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

The problem with doing that is that I have the external because the internal had gone bad.

Comment

You can try the standard DirecTV HD DVR hard drive test commands:

Here's the info:

Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

* Reboot DVR via Menu -> Parental, Favorites & Setup -> System Setup -> Reset -> Restart Receiver
        * When they see "Running receiver self-check" press select
        * You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."
        * Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Surface Test
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X