R10 Pixelating / Picture Freezes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R10 Pixelating / Picture Freezes

A couple of months ago my R10 (which I prefer over the newer DirecTV DVR) starting pixelating heavily and even spontaneously rebooting or freezing up; the picture would freeze and the sound continued on. So I checked the transponder readings and they were quite low (average 55). So I cut down a whole bunch of tree limbs and got the transponders up to 85-100 except for two that were zero. The pixelating/freezing problem continued so after reading googling a bit I -1- replaced the R10 with a refurbished one from WeakKneees (no improvement) -2- Replaced the LNB (no improvement) -3- cleaned the coax cable ends (the transponders readings went down to 80-95) -4- checked the dish positioning (could not get it any better) -5- bought and used a coax cable continuity tester (all read fine) -6- went online at DirecTV and "reauthorized" the dvr and then just unplugged the dvr for about 3-4 hours ( this probably made the only real discernable difference in that I watched tv for about an hour and a quarter before it pixellated, the longest amount of time for quite a while). Unfortunately today when I got home and turned on my tv, the picture was once again frozen even though the sound was continuing right on.

So after all of these steps, the two DIRECTV TiVo units are still basically doing the same thing? Freezing, pixellating, rebooting? Have you had DIRECTV come out to check the dish, the LNB and the grounding, among other things?

Comment

No, not yet. Although my options are narrowing. I was putting that off because we are in a VERY rural area and sometimes it takes weeks before DirecTV gets someone out. In hindsight, I'm probably being rather silly since it's taking me way longer than if I had called them to begin with.
      I did find that last night and this morning the pixelating was way less than it had been so it made me think the unplugging procedure might have helped (drain the static electricity?).

Comment

If both units are behaving similarly, at the same time, then you need DIRECTV's assistance.

Comment

Well, actually I haven't tried them both at the same time. I'm not even sure how you would do that. I bought the one to replace the other since I thought it had gone bad. I do have three other receivers (DirecTV DR15) in other buildings on our property and they have no pixelating problem. They are on their own dishes however since they are too far away from each other.

Comment

I suppose you can try connecting your TiVos to one of the other dishes, or you may need to have your dish checked.

Comment

I swapped the questionable receiver (A) with one that has no problem (B) and found that A still pixelates when hooked up to B's dish and B still has no problem hooked up to A's dish. So it looks like the problem is the receiver. Thanks for your help. I'll contact WeaKnees about a replacement.

Comment

Working...
              X