SWM 16 trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWM 16 trouble

I had a working setup with a SWM E2 Expander & Power Supply that I bought from you a couple of years ago. For some reason, receivers started dropping off and not getting a signal. The owner called Directv and they sent out a tech who replaced the system with a SWM16 (I wasn't in town)

They were not able to solve the problem, and said they wouldn't work on it anymore because there was a boat involved in the configuration.

I believe I need an amplifier but I don't know which one to get and where to insert it in the layout. The setup is listed Below

There are a total of 17 tuners (6 HD DVR's and 5 HD boxes)
    1 DVR has been changed to use only 1 tuner to get to 16
    No SWM port use more than 8 tuners.

Slimeline Dish to SWM16 = 50'
    SWM 1 port goes to a 4 way splitter
    3 lines go to receivers no more than 100' away
    1 line goes approximately 90' to a dock, from the dock goes 50' to the boat, in the boat it goes to 20' to a 4 way splitter, and then from there it goes to 4 receivers no more than 50' to the receivers.

SWM 2 port goes to a 8 way splitter
    all lines are no more than 100' to the receivers

1. If I need it, where should I insert an amplifier for the boat in this setup (before which splitter), and which one should I get?

2. How much does power failures affect SWM installations, as we are located in Florida, and have quite a few?

3. Do you think anything is wrong with the old E2 system?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You first need to figure out which receiver locations are causing the problem. Remove the longest run (eg the 4 receivers in the boat) from the SWM16 and see if everything comes up reliably. Once you have figured out which run(s) cause the problem, then you can amplify the signal. Also, you should triple-check to be sure that that one single-tuner DVR is still set to a single tuner.

If the boat run is causing the problem, then get an inline swm amp and install it in that line. See:

http://www.weaknees.com/swm-directv-...tallations.php

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
      You first need to figure out which receiver locations are causing the problem. Remove the longest run (eg the 4 receivers in the boat) from the SWM16 and see if everything comes up reliably. Once you have figured out which run(s) cause the problem, then you can amplify the signal. Also, you should triple-check to be sure that that one single-tuner DVR is still set to a single tuner.

If the boat run is causing the problem, then get an inline swm amp and install it in that line. See:

http://www.weaknees.com/swm-directv-...tallations.php

you know ... you might need to check & see if that single tuner stays as a single tuner after power loss...... i guess there is no way to get the dish closer to the middle of the system ....

Comment

Working...
      X