Home Run to 2 locations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Run to 2 locations

When we moved in, the entire house was home run to 1 location. This worked great as we ran one wire from the Dish (SWM 5 LNB) to the location and then used the green label SWM 8 way splitter to feed each room (currently 3 HD DVRs). We subsequently added on to the house and had to run all the wiring for the addition to a different location (could not access the old location) about 50 feet away. What is the best/easiest method to run four or five (4-5) HR-24s at each location (total of 8-10 HR-24s). I know this is obviously more TVs than anyone needs in the house (especially with multi room viewing), but I want to be sure I have the expansion right. One location feeds bedrooms, etc. while the other side feeds family room, game room, etc. As noted above, I currently have the single wire SWM LNB8. In a nutshell this is what I want

Ability to hook up 4 or 5 (4-5) 2-Tuner HD DVRs with multi room viewing at each of the two locations. No OTA or anything else.

What do I need and where for the cleanest, simplest hookup.....dish, LNB, switch, splitter, etc. etc. and can any of the equipment be placed in the attic (where it gets REALLY hot) or does it get too hot.

Thanks!!

PS - If I buy additional HR-24s here on WeaKnees, will DTV charge me an additional $20 card fee or is that waived since they are new?

Originally posted by petman View Post
    When we moved in, the entire house was home run to 1 location. This worked great as we ran one wire from the Dish (SWM 5 LNB) to the location and then used the green label SWM 8 way splitter to feed each room (currently 3 HD DVRs). We subsequently added on to the house and had to run all the wiring for the addition to a different location (could not access the old location) about 50 feet away. What is the best/easiest method to run four or five (4-5) HR-24s at each location (total of 8-10 HR-24s). I know this is obviously more TVs than anyone needs in the house (especially with multi room viewing), but I want to be sure I have the expansion right. One location feeds bedrooms, etc. while the other side feeds family room, game room, etc. As noted above, I currently have the single wire SWM LNB8. In a nutshell this is what I want

Ability to hook up 4 or 5 (4-5) 2-Tuner HD DVRs with multi room viewing at each of the two locations. No OTA or anything else.

What do I need and where for the cleanest, simplest hookup.....dish, LNB, switch, splitter, etc. etc. and can any of the equipment be placed in the attic (where it gets REALLY hot) or does it get too hot.

Thanks!!

PS - If I buy additional HR-24s here on WeaKnees, will DTV charge me an additional $20 card fee or is that waived since they are new?
    well ... i think that your best bet would be to get a swm 16......or if you cant get the wiring from both the locations to a central point ... get a second dish ....... if you go swm 16... you will need to get a standard 4 output lnb (non swm ) to hook to the swm 16

Comment

Yup - a SWM16 is the way to go.

All of our HR24s include new cards. No extra charge.

Our SWM16s are here:

http://www.weaknees.com/swm-directv-...tallations.php
      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

So to be crystal clear. I run from the dish to the SWM16. I run from SWM Port 1 to a 1x8 in the old location and run from SWM Port 2 to a 1x8 in the new location. The SWM16 says it should be <40 feet from the dish, does it matter then where the power is inserted? Closer to the SWM or the 1x8 or ....

Power supply says indoor use only on the Quick Reference Guide. Mine is currently outside.
        Can both the SWM16 and power be outside?
        If not outside, can they be in the very hot attic?

My run from the SWM16 to the 1x8 in the new location will be 75 feet or so and then from there it could run another 50 feet to the ultimate location of the HR24. Do I need anything special.

I think I have most of this figured out, but now just need to optimize the location of the SWM 16 and ensure strong signal throughout. Would prefer everything in the attic, but if heat is an issue, then outside is next best. Then....

Thanks

Comment

Right - use a splitter on each SWM port. But if you've got all DVRs, a 1x4 should be plenty. You only need a 1x8 if you have some non-DVRs in there.

The power supply should NOT be outside. The SWM can be, but a hot attic is probably better.

Either way, if you can plug the power supply into the Power port on the SWM, that's the best. Next best is within 40 feet on SWM1.

All of your other distances don't sound like they should be a problem at all.
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
          X