Confused on needing a SWM 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused on needing a SWM 8

My father in law just moved in to a new house with Directv. The previous owner had a sl3 dish with the one LNB coming into the house and going into a Leviton media box which contains phone hook up, cable hook up and the directv. The previous owner had only the pi-21 and the LNB coming in with nothing hooked up. My father in law only wants to use one D12 receiver. In the Leviton box there is one cable marked family room where the previous owner had hooked up his directv receiver. How do I hook this up correctly? There is a SWM8 in the same room on a shelf marked Directv. How is this used? Later my father in law will add one or more receivers, so should I hook up the SWM8 now? Thanks for any info. If I do not need the Swm8, how would I wire the LNB to the PI-21?

The SL3 dish would have FOUR lines down and would not use a PI21. A SWM8 also would not use a SWM8. So I'd suggest you start by checking to see what type of dish you actually have. If you have a SWM dish, then take the line from the dish and connect it to the red port of the PI21. Then take a cable from the other output of the PI21 and connect to the D12. If you have only 1 line from your dish, you cannot use a SWM8.

Comment

Jeff, thanks. There is only one line coming in from the dish. That's probably why the SWM was on the shelf. Since there is one line coming into the Levin box marked family room, would I need a splinter between the pi21 and the LNB? If so, what kind of splitter? And then hoy would've italia be wired? Thanks Jeff

Comment

Ok..i hooked up the LNB coming off of the dish into the power port SWM on the pi21 and the cable from the d12 into the pi21 IRD port. The receiver is telling me it cannot find the sat. signal. Any suggestions or ideas?

Comment

This dish is an Eagle sl 5-p slim line with 3 eyeballs

Comment

If it's an SL5, then it should have 4 lines out. Did you notice how many coax lines are coming out of the dish and where they are going?

You might want to try eliminating that PI21 and seeing whether anything changes.

Comment

Working...
            X