Added 2nd drive from weaknees and Tivo wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Added 2nd drive from weaknees and Tivo wont start

I just added a 250Gb second drive to a Hughes HDVR2 using a Weeknees upgrade kit with the advanced cooling pack.

I am an experienced computer technician, have built many PC's and have even done a Weeknees upgrade to another Tivo. I am confident that I have the cables correctly seated and did not disturb the hardware in any meaningful way.

My problem is that the Tivo will not advance past the "Welcome, powering up" screen. This sounds like it might be a bad hard drive, but everything was fine just prior to the upgrade.

I have checked the IDE cable several times, checked the white front interface and the power connections. The drive is definitely spinning up, but I don't hear any data access.

I also tried returning everything to the previous setup with the old IDE cable and one drive with it's jumper set back to it's original setting, but it still doesn't boot.

Is there anything else I should try? My wife is giving me mean stares already.

One more thing that I tried

I had an older Sony T60 directivo laying around so I tried mounting the primary drive from it into the Hughes, but it still wouldn't boot. I don't know how compatible they are so that might be meaningless...

Comment

More Info

I used Maxstor's disk utilities to run a diagnostic on the primary drive. It passed both the quick and full tests with zero errors. So it doesn't appear to be a disk problem.

One thing that I just noticed. The second drive, the one I got in the mail from Weeknees had the jumper set to "Master". I don't know if that is correct or not, but it seems wrong. I tried setting it to cable select, but that didn't fix the problem. The drive also came sealed in an anti-static bag. That could mean that Weeknees reseals the drives after "Tivo-izing" them, or it could mean that someone forgot to image the drive.

:lou

Comment

You ordered an "add" drive which needs to be installed alongside the existing factory drive, so that explains why the new kit doesn't work alone.

If you put the original factory drive back in, does that work?
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X