No announcement yet.

Ethernet-over-Coax, MRV and OTA and ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethernet-over-Coax, MRV and OTA and ...

For now I am not into the Multi Room Viewing but maybe in the future.
    I understand that OTA occupies the same frequency as the MRV - what a bummer.
    Is there a different than DTV equipment be used to get Ethernet-over-Coax that would allow for OTA signal and DTV signal to coexist with MRV on the same coax?
    On the other hand what would it take to get the internet feeding thru E-o-C and OTA and MRV and DTV throuout the house?

Can WiFi get the internet to the DTV receivers at comparable cost to all those special gadgets from DTV needed to get MRV? Or it is DTV that pays for all this when MRV is orderred?

There's no other way to get ethernet into coax in a different frequency range that we know of.

Wifi can work, but ethernet is always the best. Wifi really isn't great for streaming video.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Depending on your setup DECA might not be required. I have an HR23 and an H23, using CAT5 network for them, and MRV works just fine. I also have OTA diplexed in. Because the MRV is not going over the coax, no problems with anything.

One thing I have noticed since the HD GUI update is that my HR23 now records three channels at once. I have no idea how this is happening, as I can watch something totally independent on the H23. The only thing I can figure is that the H23 has a dual tuner and sends its program over the Ethernet to the HR23 for recording. I can't find any documentation of this anywhere. WeaKnees, impart your knowledge upon me!

Comment

I really don't think that's happening - I don't see how it could and I've never seen it before.

Can you give us the details? What three shows recorded simultaneously?

Comment

Hi this is my first post I hope it's OK to add on to this thread.

I have several HR-2x DVR's around my house. MRV is working fine using straight ethernet connections, no DECA.

I have an HR-22 connected via a directv wifi adapter and if I try to watch programs recorded on it on another DVR it stutters and is unwatchable.

The HR-22 does not have an ethernet drop at it's location.

What do I need to get the HR-22 on the network over it's coax connection?

Internet connectivity isn't required because I don't have capable broadband.

My other DVR's are HR-24, HR-21 100, HR-23 700 and they are all connected via Ethernet.

Thanks for any replies. IIRC I bought an upgrade kit from Weaknees for my SD TIVO about 15 years ago!

Comment

Are you using an N or a G Wifi network? You really need N for video streaming.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
              Are you using an N or a G Wifi network? You really need N for video streaming.
              I guess G. I have to find out. I'd really like to get the thing wired though. Is it possible?

We have so many devices and access points that I've dropped all over and I slacked and didn't plan much of it.

Thanks, Jack

Comment

Working...
              X