Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swm-8 Hr20-700

Well I'm stumped...

We have a slimline-5 dish with four outputs. Two outputs went to a Tivo Sat-T60, and two outputs went to our Directv HR20-700 using b-band converters. Everything works fine.

We are trying to go to the whole house system, so the first step was to install a swm-8, power supply and x8 splitter (all Directv equipment).

Here is the connection (per Weaknees diagrams):

Four dish cables to SWM-8 sat inputs (no particular order). SWM1/PWR on SWM-8 to red SWM connection on the power pack. Power pack IRD connection to IN of splitter (red).

Dual Tivo Sat-T60 connections to legacy ports. It is happy and works fine.

A new H21-200 receiver connected to one of the splitter outputs. Selected Slimline 5 dish and SWM. Found SWM and is happy. Sat signals are on various transponders for 101, 110, 119, 99c, 103ca,103cb and swm. No signals on 99s, 103s, 72.5 and 95. It wants me to contact Directv to activate the new receiver. I have not done this yet.

Now, the problem child...

Connected a single cable from the splitter to SAT-A on the HR20-700 which is supposed to be SWM compatible. The setup cannot find the SWM when selected. No satellites are being received.

I have tried various permutations of: one or the other sat connectors, both sat connectors, resetting the unit, powering down the unit, power down the SWM-8, adding the b-converters back into the splitter to HR20-700 cables. All with no luck.

Is it possible that THIS HR20-700 is not SWM compatible, even though SWM comes up in the setup menu selection?

This was supposed to be a 30 minute project Sunday, but after several hours, I went back to the original wiring so we have satellite in the main room. I had to change the HR20-700 setup back to "multiswitch" for it to get satellites again.

Any ideas?

Also, the SWM-8 is "fairly" warm to the touch.

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by rjviewer; 01-29-2012, 05:50 PM.

That unit is definitely SWM compatible.

You definitely can't use the B-Bands with the SWM line.

We've literally still never seen a failing SWM, and since it's working for the other units, I doubt that's it.

Could it be the cabling to the location? Can you try the HR20-700 where the H21-200 is?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

That's a good idea! The HR20-700 is three feet from the SWM-8.

I'll give that a try!

Thanks!

Comment

Well, I tried the same cable & grounding the SWM-8 and splitter. No luck.

I think my next experiment will be to see how well the unit holds up after I drive my car over it...

Comment

Maybe try to reconnect it to the non-SWM cable, and force an OS update. You do that by rebooting, and at the first blue screen, enter 0-2-4-6-8 from the remote. You should see it update the software.

Comment

Hi,

Did the software update, now 0x57B. I also tried a long cable to the Sat1 input connected to the SWM2 input to eliminate the splitter. No luck.

I managed to find a diagnostic screen during boot.

Model & mfg ID: HR20-700
            Receiver ID: 023182608051
            Software Version: 0x057B
            BIST Version: 6.25
            BSL Version:1.10
            Original SW Date: 02/08/2007
            Hardware Rev ID: 2.4
            Flash Device ID: Spansion, S29GL128N

When I run receiver tests, it finds no sats if connected to the SWM.

What was interesting was that when I ran the SWM tests in this diagnostic, it said I had to have a SWM module installed. Could that mean I need a hardware upgrade?

Thanks!!

Comment

I'd suggest you give DIRECTV a call; you might need to get that HR20 swapped...but you should try repeating satellite setup after moving the HR20, to be sure that it's set for SWM.

Comment

I took the advice and talked with DTV. They sent a "swap out" unit. When it arrived, it was not what I had. The only identifying mark I could see was "DVR1". It had no SATA port for me to use a WeeKnees external hard drive.

I called them back and finally found my way through the verbal phone tree. The third person I talked to on this call said that they could not swap out the same unit and they had no control over what would be sent out.

I told them that I did not remove the unit from the box and I would like to return it.

They said I should install it, and then contact them to uninstall it and they would send me the return pack. I pointed out that this was still new in the box.

She said I should take it to Fedx and refuse the shipment. I told her that I opened it and that I've had it for a week. I didn't think Fedx would take it back. She then went back to the last directive about installing it and uninstalling it. We went through this loop three times. I said I'd take it back to Fedx and politely said good-bye. What an idiot!

Our local shipper told me what I already knew. Fedx won't take it back since it has been opened - common sense. I asked how much it would cost to send this free DVR back to DTV, $22. No thanks.

I'm going to hold onto this until "they" figure out that they should have sent me a return shipper.

Now, my plan is to buy a HR34 from you guys. Question: I want to be sure - does whole home work with this unit, or do I need those special Samsung TVs?

Thanks!

Comment

Whole Home works with the HR34, but it does require a SWM network with DECA. DECA is integrated into the HR34, but all other units either need to have it built-in (H24, H25, HR24) or have external DECA adapters:

http://www.weaknees.com/mrv

Comment

If a receiver has an Ethernet jack on the back could be directly connected to the network without a DECA adapter?

Thanks

Comment

Well, yes, as long as it can get to the other receivers that way. If some are SWM/DECA and some are SWM/Ethernet, you'll need the DECA BB package to connect the two networks.

Comment

I've installed the new 5 receiver DVR I purchased from you without any complications. Can I send the problem HR20-700 to you to see if you can get it to work with a swm-8?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X