Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OTA recording with owned HR20- subscription req?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OTA recording with owned HR20- subscription req?

Hi all. I am new to this forum. I found it in my search for a way to have a dual-tuner OTA-only HD DVR. I currently have DirecTV service but would like to quit it and go with OTA only . We get great OTA HD on our new LG HD tv now, and just need the recording piece to be able to cut the cord to subscription based services.

So...I have an owned DirecTV HR20 box that I am not presently using and is not under a current subscription--has an access card but that is not activated. I have hooked this up to our antenna and to the directv satellite feeds and it is "willing" to tune in the channels if I were to give it an access card that is current, and matches the receiver. I haven't tried to re-activate this receiver because I don't know whether it will work for us in the end...can I use this to record and will it be able to get a program guide from somewhere? Can it connect to the internet (we have wired and wireless connections available) and download program guide info that way? Or does DirecTV have a low priced subscription available that would allow us to just activate it for OTA use, program guide included, and let them have their satellite dish back? Any info to illuminate this situation would be much appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Diane

Nope - no way to use that at all without a subscription. If you do subscribe, you'll need HD and DVR, so it wouldn't be too inexpensive.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I understood some of the very old DVR's (Phillips, Sony, etc) did/do support OTA recording without any subscription.

I have a number of them. Anyone know which models might support this?

I also have an old Replay unit, any chance that may do the job?

Comment

The old units that you have don't support digital signals from an antenna and they don't support converter boxes. Same is true, I believe, for the Replay.

Comment

Working...
        X