Upgrade TiVO drive using MacBook Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade TiVO drive using MacBook Pro

I'm stuck. TiVo drive in USB/eSATA adapter isn't recognized by WinMFS running on VMWare Fusion virtual Win7 window on late model MacBook Pro 13. I'm hoping someone here can give me a recipe to complete it on the MacBook. I'm pretty new to Macs but I am comfortable working from the command line, if that helps. I suspect, however, that the solution lies in the hardware. (Please tell me I'm wrong.). I'm thinking only solution might be to rebuild old Windows box now sitting, with no HD or boot disk, in my garage.

Tim

I don't think I've ever seen these tools compiled for Mac. Sorry.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thank you. I'm not sure to what "those tools" refers. WinMFS? It's running on a Win7 VM, something that I've seen other Tivo Upgrade sites prescribe. I'm pretty sure you're correct that I can't run it native OSX.

Anybody else managed to upgrade a TiVO drive (HD) using a Mac?

Comment

Right - there are old Linux tools out there also that could potentially be recompiled for the Mac OS, but I've never seen that, and that's what I was referring to.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by tspofford View Post
          WinMFS running on VMWare Fusion virtual Win7 window on late model MacBook Pro 13.
          Though MFS tools has been Mac-compiled, I don't know how recent a version. I just boot MFSLive on the Mac (hold down "c"). I use a USB adapter for the drives, which are recognized as sdc and sdd.

Comment

"Run WinMFS as Admin"

Doh. I read the subject half a dozen times but it didn't register. As soon as I did as instructed, everything worked as it was suppose to, i.e., WinMFS running in a Win7 virtual machine under VMWare Fusion.

Before I got to this point, I tried using MFSLive from a CD but the start up failed with a message to copy the JavaMFS drive to an IDE/SATA drive (?), which didn't make much sense: just any old drive? Anyway, doing it didn't help.

Thanks all for the help.

Comment

Working...
            X