My hard drive stopped working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My hard drive stopped working

I have had a weaknees hard drive on my SA8400 for a couple of years without any problems. Tonight I can no longer access DVR content - any time I click on a show title I get the generic DVR screen. This has happened before but I was always able to fix it by rebooting the DVR. This time I have not been able to fix the issue. Any suggestions on troubleshooting? Thanks for the help

The only suggestion would be to try to test your drive in a PC using the drive-manufacturer's testing utilities. You can also try a new eSATA cable, but it sounds like you might have a drive issue. You can also send the drive in for testing if you'd like, but you'd want to email directly for this assistance.

Comment

I should have mentioned that I inadvertently unplugged the drive's pose cord while the DVR was still on. Where do I find the drive manufacturer's testing utilities? I don't have a record of my purchase from you guys but it would be under George Barrios. Thanks.

Comment

You've got a Western Digital drive, so you can find the right software here:

http://support.wdc.com/product/downl...20eurs&x=0&y=0
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Can the diagnostic tools repair the drive so i can get my programs back? Or am I just going to need to get a new drive

Comment

Sometimes they do claim to repair the drive, but that never really lasts.

The key is, does it say the drive passes or not?

Comment

I ran the "Extended Test" which took about 9 hours and the drive passed. However if I plug it into my SA box, I still can't access any programs. I've tried rebooting the cable box which in the past has fixed any issues but that isn't doing the trick now.

Any ideas?

Comment

should have mentioned that although the drive passed the "SMART Status" was "not available". I have no idea what this means.

Comment

Originally posted by gab2001 View Post
                  should have mentioned that although the drive passed the "SMART Status" was "not available". I have no idea what this means.
                  I can't see how the drive can pass if the software can't run the SMART tests. Can you try just the SMART tests again?

Comment

I've gone on Western Digital forums and there seems to be a lot of examples of SMART status showing as "unavailable" but the test running fine.

I did a QUICK test just know and it passed as well. By the way, there is nothing called a SMART test just a QUICK test and an EXTENDED test (the latter took about 9 hours).

Comment

I right clicked on my drive within the diagnostic tool and went into the "Properties" panel and under "Health Status" it said "Warning". That can't be good!

Any ideas on troubleshooting. Is this something that WK can help with? Or do I just get another drive?

Comment

It sounds like you might have a bad drive, in which case a new drive would be the right way to go.

Comment

Working...
                        X