Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "TiVo to add Comcast video-on-demand support"

http://news.cnet.com/tivo-to-add-com...0061069-1.html

This is a story from May 2011 and I wondered if anything came of it (don't see a thread on it here). I was planning to rent a DVR from Comcast for a few months but the default (included with condo) Comcast box has OnDemand which is good enough for now. Yes I hate watching the commercials and I wish it had more control, but for the cost and inconvenience I'm living with it.

If I had a TiVo I probably wouldn't care about OnDemand, and with free OnDemand I'm not sure I'd invest in a TiVo (can I sign up for $20/mo with no contract?), but it might be fun to have both. Add in NF and H+ functionality (for which I carry a little WDLivePlus box, but no Amazon Prime Videos) and it might be compelling.

Thanks!
    =aw

We've heard that it's coming in March - Comcast shows it here:

http://www.comcast.com/tivo/faqs.html?SCRedirect=true
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Hmm, that page says you don't pay TiVo. I guess it still costs $20/mo but Comcast is collecting it? Doesn't matter I think it's too late for me this year (though I could take the box home and use it OTA in Canada... ).

I may be in the market for a TiVo Premiere or XL sooner than I thought!

=aw

Comment

The page referred to above deals with the TiVo software that "runs on Comcast's DVR set-top box." If you have one of those, then you don't pay Tivo directly for service.

On the other hand, if you get a Premiere and use a Comcast CableCARD, then you'd pay TiVo for the TiVo service.

Comment

Ah, thanks. So this is really about TiVo software being licensed for the Comcast DVR? I don't know how I missed that. I thought it was about integrating a Premier from TiVo and having OnDemand access as part of the $20/mo from TiVo.

I will look forward to seeing what the options are.

=aw

Comment

Working...
          X