Hard Drive operational noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Drive operational noise

In my new (otherwise highly liked) THR22, we have noticed that the hard drive is much noisier in its normal operation than the old TiVo we just replaced (a regular old SD DirecTiVo).

It sounds like what any hard-drive normally does when its bouncing around, so I'm not thinking that it's on the verge of problems or anything. It's just that somehow this box seems to amplify that noise much more than the prior one did.

Am I just going to have to live with that? I'm going to try physical tricks (like setting it on a piece of rubber cabinet mat that might absorb a bit of the noise). Any other good ideas? Or, should I actually be more worried?

PS: This is a WeakKnees upgrade to 1.5 tb.

Michael

The THR22s remote can be made to work through solid surfaces, so if you aren't happy with the noise, you can move it inside a cabinet and set the remote to RF mode. There is more information in the TiVo manual and on the TiVo remote settings screens.

Comment

Good to know -- I hadn't thought of that. Let me try some other solutions first, but that's now in my back pocket. TNX

Comment

A solution

I was able to fix this problem on my new THR-22. The drive is now considerably quieter. I can still hear some hard drive seeking, but it is much less noticeable. The problem is that the hard drive is attached in a hard plastic case and screwed directly to the motherboard in two places, and the metal case frame in two places, with no insulating material of any kind. In contrast, my Series 2 Tivos, which are much quieter, have nice rubber anti-vibration bumpers to isolate the drive. All I did was to place some #5 O-rings that I bought in the plumbing department of Lowes between the plastic case and each mount point. Actually I was only able to fit the O-ring under one of the frame mount points, because there is a pretty tight fit and I did not want to push hard on the case. These rings are only 1/16th inch thick; don't bother trying anything thicker. So now the drive case is attached at 3 points, and there is a small gap at the other mount point so that there is no direct contact of case to frame. This is pretty easy to do as long as you have the T-7 star torx screwdriver to get in the case.

Comment

Interesting - thanks for the post!
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
          X