Hard Drive Problems -- Evaluating My Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Drive Problems -- Evaluating My Options

My Tivo Premiere (with lifetime subscription) is just under two years old and showing several of the usual symptoms of hard drive failure: freezing, pixellation, delays in responding to the remote, etc. And, when I run the Kickstart-54 SMART test, the Short, Conveyance, and Extended tests all show "Fail". Given that I am comfortable replacing hard drives and other components, I believe my options are as follows, in descending order of cost:

1. Accept Tivo's offer to exchange my Tivo for another unit (refurbished casing, supposedly all new parts inside), for $149; or

2. Order a hard drive upgrade/repair kit here ($140 for same standard size, which is sufficient for this Tivo); or

3. Buy a brand new Tivo here ($99), and don't activate the new unit but move its hard drive to my existing unit.

Between options 1 and 2, is there enough value in having all new parts (not just a new hard drive) to justify a few extra bucks, and can I really believe Tivo that only the case is refurbished and the inside parts are all new? And, is there any reason not to save $40-$50 or more and go with option 3?

Any advice appreciated, including anything I'm missing in thinking or asking about these options. Thanks.

As far as what's inside #1, I really don't know.

#3 isn't a bad idea, actually. You'll need to do a "clear and delete everything" once you've moved the drive, to wipe out the hardware error. Of course, there's no warranty on the drive that way.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

What did you do?

Hi Scott, I'm curious as to what option you chose?

I ask because when I purchased my Premiere and had to choose a service option, I was very interested in the lifetime option but read the fine print and it seemed to say that in the event your tivo dies outside of 1 year, *even* if it is replaced witht the same model, that your lifetime subscription would not transfer to the new unit.

This sounded terrible and I even called Tivo and they confirmed this, which is why I don't have the lifetime option.

If you did decide to swap it out, did you get your subscription ported over?

Comment

If TiVo does the swap, they'll generally let you move your lifetime over for a fee.

Comment

my tivo premiere is just over 4 years old and started exhibiting some pixellation, freezing and pausing issues ( though the problems were most notable when using kmttg ). A kickstart 54 - SMART test returned "FAIL 7" on Short, Conveyance & Extended tests for the original internal drive ; the external 1TB Mybook AV passed the tests. I currently have over 180 programs on it, 69 of them "copy protected". What are my best options for preserving the most recordings?

Comment

If you can copy those shows of to your computer over your network, that's the best way. Beyond that, if you have a TiVo Stream you could try to salvage shows that way.

Then, you need a new large internal drive. Find your exact model here:

http://www.weaknees.com/upgrades.php

Comment

Working...
            X