Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDVR2 hardware problem found

Hi everyone,
    I just got a new HDVR2 from a surplus store and put in a new WD 500gb HD. I got it activated and up and running but it won't record at all. I get a message that says hardware problen found you won't be able to record until this is resolved. The HD was built with instantcake 6.2a. Is there something wrong with the HD or is it something else?
    Thanks for any help or advice.
    Bigdog22

See:

http://www.tivopedia.com/error-51-hardware-error.php

FYI, you are going to need 6.4a to get the unit to function properly.

Comment

Somehow I figured out that maybe I needed to do the clear and delete everything, and after it was done and up and running I was able to record like it should. It still has 6.2a on it though and my local channels aren't showing up yet. Will it be able to get the 6.4a on it's own through the phone downloads or am I looking at having to get the new version of cake and rebuild the drive?
      Thanks, bigdog22

Comment

You will not likely get 6.4a other than through a software reload through something like InstantCake or this service:

http://www.weaknees.com/misc.php

Comment

Thanks for the info, for right now all is working well with 6.2a so I will leave it at that for now. I appreciate the help.

bigdog22

Comment

Much to my surprise overnite the unit got the 6.4a update and reloaded it this morning once I restarted it. Now 6.4a is on and all is good.

bigdog22

Comment

OK - pretty surprising, but maybe DIRECTV is sending out updates again for these units.
              Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I have another HDVR2 that has a bad tuner, I was wondering if I send it off and get the tuner fixed so both tuners work can I pull the HD out of my other unit and get it to work on the one I get fixed. The unit that has the HD in it, one tuner goes in and out so I basically only have one in it also so that is why I want to fix the other so as I still have something to use till I get the other one back.
                Thanks Bigdog 22

Comment

Sure - you can move the HD as long as they're exactly the same model, and then you just need to a "clear and delete everything" once the drive is in the new unit.

Comment

Yes they are the exact same model it's just I was hoping I could save all the programs on the Hard Drive. Is there anyway to do that without having to do the clear and delete everything?

Thanks Bigdog22

Comment

Nope - you'll get an Error #51 which will prevent you from watching the shows.

Comment

I was afraid that might be the case. One more question, is there a way to transfer those shows on to a bigger HD while I get the tuner fixed because I think this drive is running out of room and I don't want it to crash on me.

Bigdog22

Comment

If the current drive is good, then yes, we should be able to copy programming from it to a larger drive.

Comment

Great I will see about sending it off.

Comment

Yes they are the exact same model it's just I was hoping I could save all the programs on the Hard Drive. Is there anyway to do that without having to do the clear and delete everything?

Comment

Working...
                              X