Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS ok to install?

Hello all!

I'm used to my car forums, didn't realize there were similar forums for souping up Tivo's lol. Awesome.

Well - backstory. RCA Series 2 DirecTivo running a 160GB HDD I got from WK about 5 years ago. For the past year I've run into random strange issues from sudden boots, picture freezes, but mostly a blotched reception on (usually just one) of the tuners for only certain channels. Annoying, but it would seem to go away for long periods and work fine - other than the iffy tuner 2 reception.

But, lately it's really gone downhill with frequent freezes, terrible blotchiness on that one tuner, and difficulty getting past power up. I had cleaned out all the dust but that only got me a couple more months out of it. I checked all that I could, tried different IDE cable, ran SeaTools on the drive (passed both short and long tests), so finally probed the Molex HDD power connector with my meter. Got 10.89v on the +12v line, which I think is out of spec. Jumped the HDD with a Molex from an old computer and ta-da, it powers up and everything works perfectly.

So that's the background, now the issue. Ordered a new PS from WK. Opened box and there's a cracked and exposed component on the PCB. I don't know what it is, but again the metallic insides are exposed and also looks like a shard of the encasing material is wedged into it. Left side, rectangular blue "thing."

I know this is supposed to be a used, working pull, and since there were no loose pieces in the shipping box it must have been sent this way. But is it safe to install in my machine and power up? Maybe if I put some spray foam insulation over the exposed part of the component (though that plastic shard still worries me)? Or is this thing toast - or an eventual fire hazard - and needs to be returned? I sent an email to WK but I know it's past business hours so thought I would try the forums too until I hear back.

Thanks in advance, I figure there'll be some electronics experts here who can identify this component and give me some direction!

In the meanwhile, for now I think I will just jump the HDD with a computer PS again, especially since the Laker game is starting soon!

Mike

Update: Well I found out that component was a capacitor, but the replacement came in today and everything is now working in top order again!

Amazing that all those strange symptoms I was experiencing (and chasing down in the wrong direction) were from a bad PS - and only a little more than 1 volt short at that. Half a volt even if you consider the low end of spec. I wonder, is it always the feed to the hard drive that falters when these things wig out? Maybe it was luck, but it sure was handy being able to get through the weekend powering up the hard drive up from an external source.

Thanks WK for your service!

Mike

Comment

Sorry about the bad shipment - glad the next one arrived intact!
      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
      X