Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To Move Recorded Shows from directv R16-300? /Upgrade Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Move Recorded Shows from directv R16-300? /Upgrade Suggestions?

Hi,
    I have directv DVR R16-300. It's not HD, but standard def. When I got their service almost 3 years ago, they said I could download any recorded show by using the usb port on the back. That is a bull blown LIE! I finally tried to move some sci-fi shows off of it to my computer yesterday. The usb port is NOT activated on the R16-300. I did some research on direct's website and found that this is NOT a feature on the R16-300. Yeah, I'm soooo surprised they lied to me.....(sarcasm). I just want to move the shows I already paid for to my computer so I can burn them to DVDs to watch later. Nothing illegal. I know there has to be a way to do this, and someone much smarter than me has to have figured it out by now? If I can get these shows off of it, I am going to buy some kind of new DVR that WILL allow me to backup my shows!
    Any recommendations on a DVR? Like I said, I have regular old SD directv satellite dish, with 2 RGB lines to the back of the DVR receiver. (I do not want HD, because they try to rip you off by making you pay extra for it. That is total B.S..) Besides, the SD looks fine on my flat screen HD tv. My main requirement for a new DVR is that I have to be able to move my shows off of it to the computer for archiving.

You cannot move content digitally from any DIRECTV unit to a PC for archiving. You can stream them from any unit into a separate DVD recorder, just like you would a VCR.

Comment

How To Move Recorded Shows Off DirecTV DVR

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
      You cannot move content digitally from any DIRECTV unit to a PC for archiving. You can stream them from any unit into a separate DVD recorder, just like you would a VCR.
      That is not an answer at all. It absolutely CAN be done. It's just a matter of finding someone who will share the details on "how" to do it.

It is ridiculous to have to watch each show in real time, just to connect a DVD burner. That kind of defeats the whole purpose.
      I want to move those shows (that I haven't watched yet) to computer, burn to DVD, and watch them at MY convenience (and free up dvr recording space)
      These are digital files, nothing more. Moving them from the DirecTV hard drive to a computer hard drive is nothing more than overcoming
      whatever Orwellian lock scheme that DirecTV is using. This type of practice is why the "company owned" dvr's such as Comcast, Verizon, DirecTV, and Dish Network,
      should be banned. (unless they have an onboard DVD burner to record to) We pay for the service and shows to come to the house, once it gets there, it should be "our" personal dvr that does the recording. Why people so willing to submit to the behavior of these companies is beyond me.
      Enough said.
      Now, can someone please help me to move these recorded shows off of this DirecTV dvr lock box?
      And, can someone recommend a good dvr (that works with S.D. DirecTV signal) that has an onboard DVD burner?
      -Thanks

Comment

Well, you'd have to find someone who can break the encryption really. Good luck and tell us if you find that person!
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

An answer maybe

Originally posted by ReturnPrivacy View Post
          Now, can someone please help me to move these recorded shows off of this DirecTV dvr lock box? And, can someone recommend a good dvr (that works with S.D. DirecTV signal) that has an onboard DVD burner? -Thanks
          I have a DirecTv 16/300 satellite Receiver that has a Hard Drive with recording abilities, the OUT signal then passes through my Panasonic DVD Player\Recorder (that goes to my TV), I burn disks to it as I watch the recording like you have to do.
          My idea is to play the recording on the DirecTv 16/300 and connect the RCA or component Audio/Video OUT, to your COMPUTER with a TV/Video Card. This should let you view and record the show on your computer. Then you can BURN a copy from your Computer to it's DVD burner. I don't know if this will let you Network you 16'300 or not. Probably not.
          I suspect you'll just end up playing each movie as it records on the Computer. But maybe its worth a try.
          So, 16/300 out to Computer TV\Audio Card. Record to Computer, to DVD burner. Maybe you can record directly to the Computer DVD burner? The Software that comes with the TV\Video Card you get will determine that.
          I'm still trying to find out about the other ports and what they do on the 16\300, USB, etc.
          Hope that helps some. It's not a perfect answer but it should work Jimdandy. Paul

Comment

Yes this is a good solution (and really the only one) if you do not mind the recordings being analog out of the DVR. The OP was looking for a digital solution, which just isn't possible.

Comment

Working...
            X