Clean/Repair TiVo Remote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clean/Repair TiVo Remote

I have an original peanut remote that came with my Series 2 (single tuner) TiVo. Suddenly the UP, RIGHT and DOWN navigation keys (on the 4-way disc) are not functioning. How do you open the remote up for cleaning? I see the single screw at the bottom under the battery cover. But now what? Any pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, John

To be honest, we really never even open them. I've seen the cover plate pop off when dropped . . .
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I'm IN !!!!!

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
      To be honest, we really never even open them. I've seen the cover plate pop off when dropped . . .
      LOL! So rather than drop the remote a few time [], I got the tiny screwdrivers out and started wedging them in to pry the two halves apart. And it did come apart!

There are tab-into-slots type connectors, five (5) on each side. The tabs are on the bottom half of the remote. The slots are on the top cover plate. So you want to pull the bottom out (the tabs) while pushing the top in (the slots) to work the first few tabs. The tabs-slots are directly across from each other. Measured from the bottom of the remote:
      • First pair is 1.25" from the bottom
      • Second set is 2.25"
      • Third set is 4.5" (right where the peanut shape starts to widen again)
      • Fourth set is 6.25"
      • Final set is 7" from the bottom

So......I'm inside. Everything is covered with an oily coating. Hmmmm. I'm going to clean all five (5) parts with a light mixture of Dawn dishwashing fluid, let it dry overnight and see what happens. I will update tomorrow.

Comment

All's well that end's well

Final update: Remote is working fine now.

If anyone takes a remote apart, make sure the positive battery terminal is inside the battery compartment before snapping the case back together. The first time I reassembled my case, the positive battery terminal fell naturally behind the battery compartment.

There are actually seven (7) parts to the remote (not including that batteries):
        1. Case Bottom
        2. Case Top
        3. Battery Door
        4. Circuit Board
        5. Rubber Buttons
        6. Tivo Button
        7. One Screw

Comment

Pretty cool - I haven't heard about anyone cleaning a remote for years. A guy from Wired told us to try it once - never did.

So any idea what the oil was all about? Maybe applied at the factory to keep it from rusting? Did it come off?
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Ardentguy, you da man..... My fast forward button was not working very well. I followed your instructions above. Pretty good. What I found was once I got the battery off and the screw removed, I was able to put the screwdriver into one of the slots on either side of the end of the battery compartment exterior. I pried (twisted) gently, and the thing split apart like a zipper moving up one tab at a time. Gently prying.

I wiped it down with a paper towel, and re assembled it. Works like a charm. Thanks.

Paul.../NH
            Last edited by pjw73nh; 02-20-2015, 09:30 AM.

Comment

As remotes age the rubber used in the buttons often oozes an oil that need to be cleaned off occasionally, otherwise buttons will stop working.

Comment

Working...
              X