need help with DECA and internet distribution set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with DECA and internet distribution set up

I am trying to help a friend use his DTV coax to distribute internet to a part of his house that isn't getting wifi reception- He wants an Ethernet connection for xbox in the basement where he has an hr24 receiver.

I see 2 wires coming in from the dish into a basement utility room. One goes into a 4 way swm splitter right there and the other dish wire goes up into a wall where I cannot see what happens. He has 8 Receivers some HR24's and some HR22s and he has MRV activated and it works. Since he has 8 receivers, I assume that the second dish wire runs to a swm splitter in the attic which feeds the upstairs TV's. His FIOS router is located next to one of his HR22 receivers on the main floor. If we plug the receiver directly into the router he obviously gets internet. If we add a DECA adapter to that receiver and plug the deca into the receiver and router he also gets internet at that receiver. I thought that by using the deca there that the internet would now get into the coax for use elsewhere, but when I checked at the basement Receiver there was no internet. and when I added a deca there-- even though the receiver has it built in, the green lights on the DECA did not light up and no internet connectivity appears . I thought that by using a deca there I could take the internet off the deca and use it for the xbox. Apparently not.

Question is, how do I get the router's internet onto more than that one receiver? DO I need another sem splitter right there? If there are, as I think, 2 SWM 4 way splitters off of the dish, will the internet only show up on the receivers that attach to the same splitter or does it somehow get to all 8 receivers? Without access to the assumed second SWM 4 way splitter in the attic is there a way to get this done? If the Receiver where the router is and the basement receiver come off of the same 4 way sem splitter from the dish, will that be enough to get the internet to the xbox?

My setup at home is a SWM 16 with a deca adapter and power supply and router all right next to each other so it works easily and flawlessly-- his setup isn't so simple.

Thanks for your help . .

Thanks for your help . . .
    Last edited by bskesq; 10-11-2013, 08:25 AM.

The problem is, you're pumping the internet into the nearby HR22, and not into the SWM network.

You need a DECA Router package to get the data from the FiOS router into the SWM network, then a DECA at the XBOX.

See the DECA Router here for $49.99:

http://www.weaknees.com/directv-deca-networking-mrv.php
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks-- so if I buy this and attach it to the router and the Hr22, then it will feed the internet to all other locations?? What if the location it is needed is on the other 4 way splitter? still ok?
      Thanks

Comment

I just looked at the adapter -- I cant use that without a splitter because it will take the 1 incoming cable to the receiver and use it for that adapter-- then I have nothing left for the receiver- can we split the cable coming to the receiver and then have 1 leg go to the deca adapter and the other leg to the receiver?

Comment

That's right - split the cable going in to the receiver.

You'll also need a regular DECA for the HR22.
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
          X