Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Directv Whole Home DVR (MRV) requirements really required......really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Directv Whole Home DVR (MRV) requirements really required......really?

Here is my situation, I decided I wanted to upgrade to MRV Whole Home DVR service so I contacted Directv and they wanted to come out an install it and of course charge me for it and the equipment. So after researching I found out what I needed to install MRV in my home, cost me $6 each for the adapters and $18 router package and $45 for the SWM 16 switch for my 5-LNB Dish. I ordered everything and am waiting on it all to come. Well today I was on the phone with Directv to activate another receiver for my kitchen and I told them I was going to self-install Whole Home DVR service and asked if he could activate it now to save me a call back or would I have to wait. He said no problem and went ahead and activated it. Well to my surprise when I went to my list all my programs were showing up from my other 3 DVR's! Right now I have a 5 LNB and a regular old multi-switch (non-SWM) and all my receivers are hard-wired to my internet. I have a 4 port Motorola Surfboard cable modem/router with 4 outputs going to an Ethernet 4-8 port switch in each room, from there each piece of equipment (Directv DVR, Blu-Ray, Media servers, X-Box) is connected to the switch. So my question is.....WTF? I didn't need to order all this stuff? Am I missing something being setup like this? Is there any advantage (free up bandwith ect.) to installing the DECA when it arrives or should I just leave well enough alone? Can I use both? I didn't buy enough for all my receivers because I didn't really care to have MRV in those rooms but can I leave 3 of the receivers hardwired to my network, add DECA to the other one and use the other 3 adapters to feed the 3 rooms I wasn't going to connect? Hey I have them I may as well use them! I know those are a lot of questions, sorry but you guys are the experts and you may save someone else in a same situation from wasting money or not wanting to spend the money not knowing they have everything they need already. Thanks!

By the way I have, 2 HR23-700's, 1 HR22-100 and 1 HR20-700 working without the DECA or SWM. My other 3 receivers are non-DVR's, all H23-600's.

Comment

It's the hard-wired ethernet. That's the same, functionally, as DECA equipment.

DECA would keep the video traffic to the coax, in theory, but since I don't think they act as switches, just bridges, I'm not sure there's actually a difference in practice.
      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
      X