has High Definition totally obsoleted my lifetime TiVo's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has High Definition totally obsoleted my lifetime TiVo's

I have three TiVo's that I abandoned using when my local TV's all went digital. I have:
    Tivo Sreies 2 (TCD24008A with lifetime subcriptions and enlarged with a Weakknees hard drives(240GB)
    Tivo Series 2 (TCD24008A) new in box (bought to have a back up should my lifetime Tivo ever fail-to be able to swith crystals)
    Pioneer DVR-810H with free lifetime Tivo Basic witch is also DVD player/burner. Sure hated to give up using this.
    Would any of these have any value in any other parts of the country or be updated to High Definition?
    Would any of these still record if used with digital to analog converter box?

None of those can be updated to HD.

All can use digital-to-analog converter boxes to record OTA signals. Besides the cost of the converter box, that's a good way to keep these useful for free.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

FWIW, having one of them phone home every 6 months will qualify your next machine for MSD (Multi-System Discount). I've abandoned two of my S2s (non-lifetime) but when the lifetime machine was offline for a while, my second machine became primary (full price) and only the third got the discount. Now I don't even have the LT machine plugged in, I'm just planning to plug it in after 5 months, connect to TiVo servers, then shut it down again. I'm hoping that will put less stress on the machine than sitting there running (and worse, potential for surges, 5-second power outages, etc.)

[Actually I don't have 6 machines, I think I had LT S2, monthly S2, and Premiere, while the LT was offline; now the monthly S2 is cancelled, and only the Premiere is actually in use.]

Also I think you can record SD programming (e.g. MeTV or AntennaTV) on an HD TiVo, transfer to PC, then transfer to old analogue TiVo with service. That's based on my
      S2DTs and Premiere.

=aw

Comment

...and if you have a non-lifetime unit, it's possible if you load up the hard drive then cancel the service, you can continue watching what's stored there.

That's not what I expected, or remembered from my previous cancellation, but it is what seemed to happen with the last one, documented here http://www.wkforums.com/forums/showt...-on-Tivo/page2

=aw

Comment

Working...
        X