Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SWM8 with 3 output Traveler SK-3005- can it be made to work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWM8 with 3 output Traveler SK-3005- can it be made to work?

I have what I've been told is an early SK3005 which has only 3 outputs instead of the usual 4. When I bought the antenna new I called the vendor when I saw only three outputs and he assured me it was correct. This was in 2006/2007 or whenever the sk3005 first came out. Anyway, I've read of others with this same antenna. It's worked fine with the non-SWM HD DVRS I've had for years with no problems.

Now I've moved to the H25 (HR25?) SWM HD DVR and purchased a SWM8. However, it appears the SWM8 will not allow me to access all the transponders without 4 inputs. What is the solution to this? Is there an easy fix with the existing equipment? If not can I replace the ODU with a SWM unit? Will the standard 5LNB units fit a Traveler?

I called Winwgard but the person I discussed with didn't know the answer. Can anyone give me some answers?

Thanks,
    Ron

You need all 4 outputs from a dish to use a SWM if you want HD. Your satellite needs to see, at a minimum, the 101, 99 and 103...and in some parts of the country, the 110 and 119 are required. What satellites does your dish see?

Also, FYI, the H25 is not a DVR.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
      You need all 4 outputs from a dish to use a SWM if you want HD. Your satellite needs to see, at a minimum, the 101, 99 and 103...and in some parts of the country, the 110 and 119 are required. What satellites does your dish see?

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post

Yes, I'm aware that under normal circumstances I need all four outputs that's what prompted the question......

So aside from throwing everything away and spending $2k on a new dish what are the potential solutions if any? ( the original question) I know I can replace the turret with a skwm3 turret for around $600 according to Winegard and they want the old one back so I don't try to sell it to someone ( who would want it? but is there some kind of splitter/switch or whatever that can creat the fourth output that the swm8 wants to see. The way it is now I can pick which transponders I want to see. Either 13v or 18v on one output and both 13v and 18v on the other two. One technician told me they do something like that on the Dish version.

One thing I will say is I paid the same price for this antenna as a 4 port and it's pretty poor customer relations to allow their dealers to ship the 3 port version while they were showing the 4 port in their ads and spec sheets and then offer no reasonable solutions. A company that understood customer relations would sell the parts to correct the problem at cost or less and reap the rewards of happy customers praising them. I can't image they pawned off too many of these on unknowing customers. I've only ever heard of one other person who was gouged with one of these.

Comment

Working...
      X