Suspected Hard Drive Failure - Passed Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspected Hard Drive Failure - Passed Test

I have a TiVo Premier Elite with a 2TB hard drive. After the unit displayed a GSOD, I ran Western Digital's DLGdiag on the drive and it passed both the SMART and Extended HD tests. Does this mean that the drive is NOT causing the GSOD and the unit's failure? Should I just cross my fingers and replace the drive?

Perhaps it's a power supply issue? But, WeaKnees doesn't list replacement power supplies for this model TiVo?

The video displays a green "Detected a serious problem" message. What should my next step be to repair this unit?

Thanks...

It's still most likely the drive. I'd start with a new drive, and see what you find:

http://www.weaknees.com/upgrades.php

As far as the power supply, we haven't yet sourced those because, to date, we've only seen one failure of a power supply for that model (assuming it's TCD758000).
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
      It's still most likely the drive. I'd start with a new drive, and see what you find.
      As far as the power supply, we haven't yet sourced those because, to date, we've only seen one failure of a power supply for that model (assuming it's TCD758000).
      Thanks Michael,

I just ordered a new hard drive from WK --- and yes, my TiVo is an "Elite" TCD758250 model.

Looking at the unit's power supply, it "looks" perfectly fine to me. LOL

Well, but then the old hard drive looks great too --- on the outside. I'm wondering if the data on the HD might have gotten corrupted and maybe the drive itself is still okay? Since I don't have a TiVo image to use on it --- I can't check.

But can I 'legally' make an ISO of the new drive using Acronis software before installing the new drive, or is it more complicated than that? I could format the old drive and try using the image and see if the drive is actually bad... It wouldn't hurt to have a spare drive ready to go in case the new drive begins to fail someday. <grin>

Thanks again for the WeaKnees support for TiVo !!!

---Ed

Comment

You're not going to be able to us Acronis to make a new TiVo drive. Sorry. I'd suggest you see how the new drive performs.

Comment

Working...
        X