Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWM8 with only 2 cables from dish?

Hi all,

Sorry if this question has been asked to death but I couldn’t find an answer in any of the existing posts.

I have a SL5 dish with 2 cables coming from the dish into the house. How would this setup work with a SWM8 multiswitch? All the wiring diagrams I've seen show 4 cables connected between the dish and SWM. What ports should the two cables be connected to? Do I need termination caps for the unused ports?

It really won't work - you might be able to get some non-HD channels that way, but that's all.

Just run two more wires, or locate the SWM8 right at the dish.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks for the reply Michael

Bummer, I was hoping it wouldn’t be a big issue but I guess those 4 cables are run for a reason. Seems odd since my previous HD DVR(non SWM) setup worked fine with those existing two cables. So it seems it either won’t work at all or I will receive a limited selection of channels? Since I have a SWM8 on order, I plan on giving it a shot and we'll see what happens.

If I have any issues, I'll probably end up replacing the SL5 LNB with a SWM compatible one. Michael, would you happen to know right off hand if I swap LNB's will I need to reposition the dish?

Comment

DIRECTV will tell you that if you replace an SL5 with an SL5S, you will have to reposition, but if you're careful, you should be fine.

Comment

Working...
        X