Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tivo Premier Hard Drive missing partition or boot record?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tivo Premier Hard Drive missing partition or boot record?

Good day!

I'm hoping someone may be able to help me here.

I found my Tivo premier in a state of being stuck of "Starting Up, please wait." After doing some basic troubleshooting, I figured the drive, the original 320Gig WD, was probably near end of life, so I was going to clone it over to a larger drive.

After yanking out the drive, and booting up WinMFS, I ran into my first interesting problem. WinMFS allows me to select the drive, and it does identify it properly as a 320 Gig Tivo drive, but when I go to run any backup or even MFSInfo, I get an error that it is not a valid Tivo drive.

So, from there, I booted off MFSLive with only my Tivo Drive connected. Running fdisk -l on the drive, I'm greeting with no valid partition table on the Tivo Drive. When I run pdisk -l, I get a full dump of the many partitions I expect to see. Also, when I run mfsinfo from MFSlive, I also get a not a valid tivo drive error.

So, for kicks, I tried to boot off the Tivo drive, just to see what I would get. Immediately after post, I get a message that indicates to me that there is likely no boot record, or bootable operating system available on the drive.

So, as best I can tell, the data is still there, but something seems to be up with the MBR or the partition table.

Any thoughts on recovery? I don't mind at all upgrading to a larger drive, but would love to recover this one enough to copy all my data off and keep my lifetime service and such on it. As well as the cable card config to avoid a Comcast visit.

I would greatly appreciate any insights or recommendations from this group. I've been googling for hours, with no luck on my particular set of issues that I've been able to find.

Thank you very much in advance.

I have to say, I really don't think the drive is recoverable at this point. I think you need a full new OS.

You can get one from a friend, or just get one of our kits:

http://www.weaknees.com/upgrades.php
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks very much for the reply. I was wondering if that may be the case, but figured I'd give it a shot, as I'm pretty comfortable with messing with this stuff.

So, one quick question on your replacement drives. I have a lifetime subscription on this particular box, how, if at all, can I transfer that to the new drive? I'm assuming the identifying subscription info may change.

Thanks.
      Andy

Comment

Ah, never mind my last question. Just went and read about it on your website. Thanks! I think a shiny new drive from you guys is my plan. Appreciate it.

Comment

Just for anyone else reading, the lifetime sub is tied to the motherboard of the TiVo - not the hard drive.
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
          X