Tivo Roamio Pro random reboots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tivo Roamio Pro random reboots

The Roamio Pro that I bought in December from Weaknees has started rebooting pretty much every day for the last 2-3 months. There seems to be no way to figure out what is causing it. It seems quite random. The screen will freeze, we'll continue to get sound for perhaps a minute longer, and then it will shutdown and start back up. It's done it in the morning, or at night. And because some programs I've recorded are in multiple pieces I can tell that it does it while in standby mode when I'm not around (I'll put it in that when I'm not watching tv and did it with the previous Tivo HDXL for years to no ill effect). I heard that with the latest Tivo software rollout there was some random rebooting but rebooting every day seems excessive. Should I be worried that there is a problem with the drive? I don't want to let this go too long and then find it's out of warranty if I need to fix it. What do you think? Are others having this problem? So far it's a minor annoyance but I'm hoping that it won't become more frequent.

For the record we're running the Roamio with a Comcast M-card. The same one that came out of our previous Tivo. We're on Boston Xfinity and get the majority of cable stations including the upper tier channels. Other than this one issue the Tivo has run flawlessly and we've had no other complaints.

Thanks for any help you can give me with this.
    Lianne

We really haven't heard of any rebooting problems with the latest Roamio software.

Have you tried getting your CableCARD swapped?

What power are you plugged into?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
      We really haven't heard of any rebooting problems with the latest Roamio software.

Have you tried getting your CableCARD swapped?

What power are you plugged into?
      No we haven't had the CableCARD swapped. It paired easily and I didn't really want to do a truck-roll or go through the hassle of going to the cable office. And it didn't occur to me that it might be the CableCARD. I suppose I could try that. As for power we're plugged into a strip since we've got a number of items that need power including the TV, Apple TV, Tivo, and DVD player. But no other device is showing this behavior. I could try plugging just the Tivo straight into the wall to rule it out. But I don't think it's a power issue. The video from the Tivo to the TV reliably freezes for at least 30 seconds prior to the reboot while the audio continues. And once it freezes there seems to be nothing you can do to bring it back. Pushing buttons on the remote in fact seems to hasten the reboot. That doesn't seem like a power issue to me.

BTW Dave Zatz or one of his posters mentioned some rebooting after the last Roamio software update but mentioned it was occasional. If I swap the CableCARD but still see the same behavior I'll let you know. Are there any other diagnostics I should run in the Tivo menus? I can be pretty tech saavy although I'm not about to open it up or anything like that.

Comment

I would really try this directly into the wall. The other devices you mentioned on the power strip are less sensitive to power fluctuations. Since DVRs have hard drives, they can be extremely sensitive.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X