fan noise on external mirror upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fan noise on external mirror upgrade

hi i've had an external upgrade kit running non-stop for three years. i'm still on the original drives (knock on wood). it's worked very well except for one thing: fan noise. i found the original fan to be unacceptably noisy. weaknees didn't have an upgrade for that so i installed my own 50mmx50mm quiet pc fan as a replacement. it's pretty much of a hack because i have to use resistors to slow the fan down to keep things quiet but it does work. i've done this twice on the unit and now the fan is buzzing again. does anyone have a better solution? are the current enclosures quieter than the one i bought 3 years ago? the mirrored enclosures that i use in my edit studio are much quieter so i know it is possible to build a quiet enclosure. what about ssd drives without a fan? i can't be the only person who is bugged by the fan noise issue.

If your location has good airflow, you can remove the metal housing and not use a fan. The circulating air should keep the drives cool enough if they are themselves exposed to the elements.

Comment

great. i wasn't sure if that would be good enough. i have a quiet adjustable usb fan that i can put in back of the shelves in my living room. it was reviewed on cooltools awhile back http://kk.org/cooltools/archives/5824. i'll give it a try. thanks.

Comment

Working...
      X