Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a bad power supply cause picture issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a bad power supply cause picture issues?

We had a power failure (actually 2 of them) about 2 weeks ago, and now our original Tivo OLED Series 3 is having extremely bad picture quality. Every few seconds it completely breaks up and the sound goes too, virtually unwatchable. But programs recorded before the failure seemed OK.

We've been living with it, but it has gotten worse and worse of late. I was thinking that it was the hard drive, so did a kickstart 54 and ran the SMART tests, which all passed. But now the Tivo isn't rebooting consistently. Sometimes it will just make a clicking sound and not boot at all, but other times it boots just fine. Considering that this is the original one with known capacitor issues I can't say I'm surprised. The question is though, can a bad power supply cause picture issues? I'm hesitant to get a new drive if I don't need it, especially since we already replaced the stock drive with a larger one.

It just rebooted successfully this time, so I guess my other question is, if the power supply is going (clicking sound and no startup), can it be intermittent?

Thanks for any thoughts!

That really sounds more like a bad drive than a bad power supply.

Try the Kickstart 54 again and this time, do the Overnight test. The SMART test is a good starting point, but it's very basic.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
      That really sounds more like a bad drive than a bad power supply.

Try the Kickstart 54 again and this time, do the Overnight test. The SMART test is a good starting point, but it's very basic.
      OK thanks. I will try that when I get home.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottUrman View Post
        OK thanks. I will try that when I get home.
        Well, the overnight kickstart 54 test passed with no problems. And recordings made before the power outage are fine, it's just the ones after that which have issues. Does this still point towards a hard drive failure? Thanks.

Comment

Hard to know at this point. Try taking a look at your power supply - compare to these pictures:

http://www.weaknees.com/bps
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
          X