R10 was rebooting itself, now freezing on satellite download

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R10 was rebooting itself, now freezing on satellite download

Two weeks ago, my DirecTV TiVo R10 would spontaneously reboot about 15 minutes into recording a program, or would freeze while recording if it was on Standby. I saw a forum post here that said there was a recent known issue on DirecTV's end, and I remember going through a similar episode with them a couple of years ago. Anyway, I tried reauthorizing my unit on DTV's website, and that seemed to fix the problem for a week. Today it started freezing when I watched a recording, but not live TV. Then it froze again, and now it freezes at 10% of acquiring data from satellite when I unplug and restart. Is my trusty old R10 beyond repair at this point, or can something be done?
    Thanks!
    JE

Well, there's definitely a problem involving R10s, specifically with them rebooting. We think it may be related to a guide data problem.

But we haven't seen them fail to acquire a full satellite signal. At least, not yet. If it is a data problem, your issue would make sense.

That could also be a drive problem. You should do an overnight test with the Kickstart 54 menus and see what you find:

http://www.weaknees.com/54
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Yes, guide data was exactly the problem 2 years ago, and it took them 3 weeks to fix it. This time, my unit has now gone back to rebooting or freezing every 15 minutes, I did finally get it to complete the data acquisition and boot up, so I think I do not have a hardware issue. Do they do this on purpose to annoy people into upgrading their equipment?

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
      Well, there's definitely a problem involving R10s, specifically with them rebooting. We think it may be related to a guide data problem.

But we haven't seen them fail to acquire a full satellite signal. At least, not yet. If it is a data problem, your issue would make sense.

That could also be a drive problem. You should do an overnight test with the Kickstart 54 menus and see what you find:

http://www.weaknees.com/54

Comment

Yes, guide data was exactly the problem 2 years ago, and it took them 3 weeks to fix it. This time, my unit has now gone back to rebooting or freezing every 15 minutes, I did finally get it to complete the data acquisition and boot up, so I think I do not have a hardware issue. Do they do this on purpose to annoy people into upgrading their equipment?

Comment

We never really know their motivations, but I generally assume that they are just making changes for an unrelated reason, and they don't realize the effect that those changes have on older systems.

Comment

Is there any word from other users that that DirecTV has acknowledged the problem? I'm seeing the same pattern as the last 2 times this happened when it was corrupted Guide data, but they're telling me there is no such issue currently, and that I need to reformat my hard drive! Could you repair the unit if needed without losing my recorded programs?

Comment

We know that DIRECTV knows about it from our end. Not sure if other customers have heard that directly from DIRECTV.

We cannot fix this at all. The fix has to come from DIRECTV.

Comment

What exactly does DTV know the problem is, if it is corrupt data from their end why does she insist there is absolutely no such reported problem and she has to reformat my hard drive (hardware problem on my end)? If it is a hardware problem, I'd rather have you fix the unit which I bought from you ...

Comment

OBTW, I did try to initiate a Kickstart 54 test, but despite 3 attempts, following the instructions exactly, it still proceeded to boot normally to the TV.

Originally posted by philbos View Post
                  What exactly does DTV know the problem is, if it is corrupt data from their end why does she insist there is absolutely no such reported problem and she has to reformat my hard drive (hardware problem on my end)? If it is a hardware problem, I'd rather have you fix the unit which I bought from you ...

Comment

You'd have to ask them what they know, but I doubt you'll get a good answer.

Comment

Reboot and freeze issues on r10

Originally posted by philbos View Post
                      Two weeks ago, my DirecTV TiVo R10 would spontaneously reboot about 15 minutes into recording a program, or would freeze while recording if it was on Standby. I saw a forum post here that said there was a recent known issue on DirecTV's end, and I remember going through a similar episode with them a couple of years ago. Anyway, I tried reauthorizing my unit on DTV's website, and that seemed to fix the problem for a week. Today it started freezing when I watched a recording, but not live TV. Then it froze again, and now it freezes at 10% of acquiring data from satellite when I unplug and restart. Is my trusty old R10 beyond repair at this point, or can something be done?
                      Thanks!
                      JE
                      Seems I am having similar issue. R10 reboots randomly and/or freezes. Seems to have to do with recording from vh1 and/or the 30 min buffer for live TV but not certain. Then wouldn't restart after many reboots where sat acquisition stuck at 9 or 10%. Finally got live TV back after about 10 restarts.

Comment

Originally posted by Arukool View Post
                        Seems I am having similar issue. R10 reboots randomly and/or freezes. Seems to have to do with recording from vh1 and/or the 30 min buffer for live TV but not certain. Then wouldn't restart after many reboots where sat acquisition stuck at 9 or 10%. Finally got live TV back after about 10 restarts.
                        DIRECTV and TiVo are both aware of the rebooting/freezing problems on certain channels with R10s. We know the problem is with BBCA and Discovery channel. Possibly also History channel. I was not aware of an issue with VH1, but that could be part of the problem.

Your symptoms are a bit different than what others have reported, but I would not assume that your unit needs repair at this point.

Comment

We think the R10 problem has to do with a few channels, in particular BBC America.

See more info here:

http://www.wkblog.com/tivo/2015/06/d...its-rebooting/

Comment

I have 3 R10 receivers. A week ago 2 of the 3 receivers keep rebooting endlessly. I tried putting a new hard drive and a new power supply in 1 of the receivers, but it did not fix it. Over $200 and I still have a receiver that reboots. Every now and then they will run several hours without rebooting, but then back to rebooting every few minutes.

Comment

Have these units been recording BBC America, Discovery, etc.?

Comment

Working...
                              X