Restart on iOS app access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restart on iOS app access

One of the Roamios restarts at random times when accessed by the TiVo iOS app. It doesn't appear to restart by itself at any other time, and doesn't restart EVERY time it's accessed by the app, just once in a blue moon, although the chances go up if I try to stream a program from its list of My Shows. Any idea why? The Roamio is networked via MoCA. Thanks for any epiphanies!

Haven't seen that before, but it does sound like a hard drive problem.

You should probably try a Kickstart 54 Overnight test:

http://www.weaknees.com/54
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
      Haven't seen that before, but it does sound like a hard drive problem.

You should probably try a Kickstart 54 Overnight test:

http://www.weaknees.com/54
      The note there says Roamios can only run S.M.A.R.T. tests (top option). Is that the item to choose, vs the "overnight" automated test (bottom option).

Comment

Just start with the SMART test, and then you can get into the other tests after, if I remember correctly.

Comment

Just start with the SMART test, and then you can get into the other tests after, if I remember correctly.
          (according to the kickstart page, the other tests return error messages on the roamio)

Comment

So did you try the SMART?

Comment

So did you try the SMART?
              Yes, everything looked good.

Here's the funny thing: When I use the TiVo iOS app to control the Roamio in question via outside the local WiFi network, it's rock solid.
              It's when I use the TiVo iOS app to control the Roamio from WITHIN the local WiFi network, the Roamio occasionally restarts.
              Very strange. Could it be that controlling the Roamio with the TiVo iOS app WITHIN the WiFi network (which opens up a few features not available when you access remotely) somehow hits a corrupt hard drive patch that isn't necessarily accessed when controlling the Roamio remotely <scratching head>?

Comment

Could be - but that seems unlikely. I guess it could have to do with the Roamio initiating streaming.

But just to rule out network issues, have you tried rebooting the router?

Comment

Yep. It also seems to happen regularly when I access via an iPad. Accessing via an iPhone doesn't seem to reboot it, for whatever reason. Curioser and curioser ...

Comment

Well, in theory, since the iPhone screen is fewer pixels, the TiVo sends less data to the iPhone. So that would point back to a bad drive. How old is the unit?

Comment

Not that old, a couple months. But as you guys've said in the past, anything can happen at any time.

Anyway, using it locally causes no issues, even streaming to other TiVos causes no ill. It's just intra-networked access via iOS (not extra-networked remote access).

Comment

Anyway, my theory is whatever bad sectors are involved apparently are affected by accessing via iOS the Roamio while in-network. Since being in-network means being at home, I could avoid this by just turning on the TV and using the TiVo remote. And since 90% of the point of accessing via iOS is when you're out-of-network, and this doesn't seem to crash the TiVo, I think I'm safe when accessing the unit away from home.

I suppose I could keep searching the (huge) drive(s) for errors, but I'm not entirely sure what (if anything) could be done were an error (in that small patch of code) be eventually discovered. (And with all due respect, sending drives back to HQ tends to my ending up with wiped disks.) Anyway, thanks for your help!
                        Last edited by TishTash; 11-08-2015, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X