Mediacom Digital Adapter not switching channels consistently

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mediacom Digital Adapter not switching channels consistently

Since early February when Mediacom upgraded their Digital Adapter to include an On-Screen Guide, my Series 2 Single Tuner will not consistently change channels. It seems to be too slow in switching to get the job done some of the time. This happens when using the remote to change channels, and also with switching channels when recording shows. We are getting less than half our Season Pass shows recording on the correct channel - it will record whatever channel it was last set to if the switch didn't take. I have tried two different adapters, have reset the TiVo twice, made sure the IR set up is correct. Mediacom does not offer any different models of adapters to try and does not seem to have any suggestions on how to remedy the situation.
    Any suggestions? Is there some upgrade I can do to the Series 2 that would use a cable card? I hate to give up my TiVo - it has a lifetime program, so is free to use at this point...

Have you fully redone Guided Setup?

Have you made sure you don't have any IR interference in the room?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I have done the guided setup twice - tried two different manufacturers of DTA. I have not changed anything else in my setup over the past couple of years and it has worked perfectly until this on-screen guide upgrade of Mediacom's...

Comment

The guide change shouldn't really affect the way the remote would have worked with the DTA. Do you have the DTA remote, or did it even come with one?

Comment

I do have the remote for the DTA - that seems to work fine, with a quick reaction and change to the next channel. The TiVo remote has a lag time when trying to change of a second or two with sometimes the channel changing, and sometimes it says it has changed, but the channel is still on the previous one, or it will pull up the settings page on the on screen guide and it will stay stuck on that until it goes away on its own time. It will do this when either using just the up/down channel button, or using the guide or entering a number. The main issue is when the TiVo unit is trying to change the channel for a pre-set recording of our Season Pass shows. My husband watches CNBC every morning, so more than half our regular shows are recording episodes of Shark Tank instead of what is supposed to be recorded.

Comment

Then my best guess is that the IR blaster is either broken (sometimes the cables kink and give an unreliable signal - we have replacements) or it's not in exactly the best spot in front of the DTA.

Comment

I found some folks on another forum talking about the delay on channel switching and they recommended a direct connecting cable from the TiVo IR port to the DTA - it looks like you sell this cable - it sounds as though it solved a lot of peoples issues - is this worth trying?
              Thanks for your help!

Comment

Definitely worth trying if you have a port that will accept it on your DTA. Not all have them.

Comment

It is a Thomson and has an "IR In" port. It is a DCI105mcc.
                  It says the cable it is in stock, but then out of stock when I try and add it to cart.

Comment

Sorry - the cart did think we were out of stock. I fixed it:

https://www.weaknees.com/tivo-direct-connect-cable.php

Comment

Thank you!
                      I'll keep you posted on whether it helps the situation... Thanks for all the input!

Comment

The IR Direct Connect Cable did not seem to have any effect on improving the switching, but I left it in place vs the clunky IR set up I had... I then found some reference to Advance Channel Changing for the IR code speed and found that switching from 10104B to 10104A did seem to improve the reliability to about 90% - still not perfect, but much better than the <50% we were getting. I haven't tried 10104C yet, but may also try that and use the best of the batch.
                        Thanks again for your help and input!

Comment

OK - glad to hear you're making some progress.

Comment

Working...
                          X