Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roamio Pro w/4TB Upgd from weaKnees Pixelating Recorded Content

Hi all,

In 2013 I purchased a Roamio Pro from weaKnees upgraded to 4TB. I can't say whether it's exhibited this behavior since new, but it seems to "pixelate" recorded HD content. I have tested the following:

Recorded HD TV programming (Bachelorette): Pixelates
    Recorded HD HBO series (Game of Thrones): Pixelates
    Recorded HD Movie (Spy, recorded via HBO): Pixelates
    Recorded SD Movie (Road House, recorded via HBO): Does not pixelate
    Streamed HD Movie (Amazon): Does not pixelate
    BluRay Disc: Does not pixelate

The more intense the on screen "action" the worse the pixelation is. For example, Transformers recorded via HBO was almost unwatchable during intense actions scenes, where the slower scenes were ok.

Would I be on base to suspect that the culprit is the hard drives not being fast enough to supply the needed data for intense HD scene display? If it was a memory or other Roamio electronics issue I would think I would see the pixelation in streamed content, and that doesn't seem to be happening.

Thoughts?

Chris

This sounds like an issue with the incoming signal quality.

Navigate here:

TiVo Central > Settings & Messages > Settings > Account & System Info > TiVo Box Diagnostics

Use channel up/down. Do you see any entries for RS corrected/uncorrected on HD channels?

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
      Do you see any entries for RS corrected/uncorrected on HD channels?
      Yes. Tuner 1 was tuned to channel 511, which is HBO1. It had RS Uncorrected of about 675 and RS Corrected of about 15,980,xxx.

Comment

Yup - that sounds like an incoming signal issue. You should contact your cable company.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Ok. I have a pretty good relationship with the local TWC tech. What should I tell him? Any tech terms I should use?

Comment

He should have a meter that he can hook up to that outlet and see what he needs.

Comment

Update:

I had Time Warner come out to check the feed. Both the TiVo and my cable modem were showing errors. We moved the cable modem into the same closet with the amplifier/splitter and that cleared the errors on the modem, but the feed to the TiVo still showed errors. The Tech checked the signal quality at the pole and said there were errors there. He called in to have Maintenance visit.

Maintenance came by this morning and said they corrected everything they could find.

I had to restart the Tuning Adapter in order to tune HD content, but after that I can tune SD and HD channels ok.

Checking diagnostics on tuned channel 513 (HBO Signature), RS Uncorrected is holding at 0. RS Corrected is incrementing up a few thousand per second.

Are these readings ok?

Comment

With a good signal, it should be at 0/0 for the most part. If they did their jobs right, you should not have it correcting errors.

That said, the errors don't seem to numerous so the TiVo can correct for them, which means you shouldn't see pixellation as a result.

Comment

Just checked again. For a tuner tuned to FX (Tuner 1) the RS Uncorrected is now in the tens and the RS Corrected is in the millions. Signal strength is at 99-100% on the tuners I looked at.

I have read on TiVo Community that the Roamio is particularly if not unusually sensitive to signal issues. Some have even suggested that putting 1 or 2 splitters inline (with terminators on unused connections) improved their Roamio's performance.

What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by chrison600 View Post
                    Just checked again. For a tuner tuned to FX (Tuner 1) the RS Uncorrected is now in the tens and the RS Corrected is in the millions. Signal strength is at 99-100% on the tuners I looked at.

I have read on TiVo Community that the Roamio is particularly if not unusually sensitive to signal issues. Some have even suggested that putting 1 or 2 splitters inline (with terminators on unused connections) improved their Roamio's performance.

What do you think?
                    Maybe your cable company should have another look at the signal, or try an attenuator.

Comment

Can you direct me to a recommended attenuator? Preferably on Amazon?

Comment

Originally posted by chrison600 View Post
                        Can you direct me to a recommended attenuator? Preferably on Amazon?
                        Try one of these:

https://smile.amazon.com/Parts-Expre...+db+attenuator

https://smile.amazon.com/Parts-Expre...+db+attenuator

Comment

Ok. I've got one of each on the way along with a 10 pack of 75 Ohm terminators. I was told to attach those to any hot but unused COAX connection.

Comment

Definitely can't hurt.

Tell us how it goes!

Comment

Where should I located the attenuator? On the output from the amplifier/splitter to the Tuning Adapter? On the output from the Tuning Adapter? On the input from the pole?

Comment

Working...
                              X