Bolt does not see Time Warner Tuning Adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt does not see Time Warner Tuning Adapter

We have just moved into a new Time Warner service area and purchased a new Bolt as our cable entertainment center. I picked up a cablecard and a Motorola tuning adapter from Time Warner. The card went in with no issues, I called Time Warner cablecard support and they refreshed it and I could receive channels. They were unable to refresh the tuning adapter, it kept flashing its yellow LED. Back to the T-W store, swapped out the Tuning Adapter, connected it and the cablecard support office could refresh it, causing the red LED to go on briefly, then the yellow to flash and then go on solid. After it went on solid I connected the cable to the upper USB port of the Bolt. The Bolt tells me that there is no Tuning Adapter connected. T-W tried resetting the adapter again, no luck. They are suspicious that the issue is in the Bolt side, possibly an issue with the USB.

Has anybody had this? I can't find an event like this while searching. Is there a way to check the Tuning Adapter USB connection or the Bolt's USB port?

If it matters, the Bolt is connected to wireless networking. I am about to change that to wired, so that I can connect a TiVo Mini. I am not sure if that could possibly be relatd.

Thanks for your help.

Pete

Try eliminating all splitters between your TW modem and your bolt. Run a cable directly to the Bolt. If everything works and activates, then you can put the splitters back.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
      Try eliminating all splitters between your TW modem and your bolt. Run a cable directly to the Bolt. If everything works and activates, then you can put the splitters back.
      Thanks for the suggestion, but I have no splitters between the tuning adapter and the Bolt, I am not running MOCA. I have a two foot long cable, that's it.

Comment

I too am in Monrovia and have TWC (Charter now). The tech told me on Friday (7/15/2016) that Time Warner no longer supports TiVo. I called the twc office who confirmed it. My problems just stated this week too with the tuning adaptor. All they would say is sorry. Direct TV is starting to look better . ($75 vs $150 including DVR.) Time Warner is history. I'm thinking giggle for the internet and DIRECT TV for the rest.

Comment

I honestly don't believe that that information is correct.

That one office may believe it to be correct, but if TWC no longer supports TiVo, the FCC would have to a approve it, and it would be very, very big news.

I'd try again.
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I have had many discussions with the Time-Warner CableCard group the past couple of days, they are actually TiVo supporters and have been very helpful trying to sort all of this out. There has been no discussion of not supporting TiVo or anything similar. They are simply out of tools from their end and they feel the problem is outside of their equipment. I guess I could try a third Tuning Adapter, but that seems like a stretch.

Comment

Tuning adapters can be tough to get activated - mine took a second phone call. But once the person with the right knowledge does it, it's very stable.

I wonder if the problem isn't the hardware, but the person trying to do the activation.
              Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Re-authorizing didn't work. Neither did swapping out the USB cable with the one from my printer. At the TW CableCard tech's suggestion, I am off to the local TW store again tomorrow to swap out the tuning adapter for unit number 3.

Comment

So today I went to the local T-W store and swapped out the tuning adapter again. As the saying goes, third time is the charm. I now have a tuning adapter that can be authorized, which the first one failed on, and a unit that the Bolt can see, which the second one failed on. It appears that T-W has a QA issue with these units.

Interestingly, when I access the switched video channels, the red LED goes on for a bit and goes off again, but all seems to work, maybe that simply is indicating network traffic.

Yesterday T-W had a tech come out to check the outside wiring on the pole. He asked me how things were going, I told about the tuning adapter issues and he asked me if I had received the letter. I told him that I had not received a letter regarding my cable service. He said that a number of Monrovia customers with TiVos have received a letter from T-W discussing furture support, but he had not seen the letter, so zypher2u may be correct about future support.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                  X