Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MoCa & Restarts

Having a MoCa setup, I've noticed two things:

a) Using the iPad app, summoning My Shows will result in the first 10 or so programs being listed, but then it spins its wheels ... until the TiVo restarts spontaneously. This is really annoying, and doesn't seem to occur with the iPhone app, which is super weird.

b) The above problem has been going for months. What's happened more recently is my TiVo Roamio suddenly restarted while I was browsing My Shows directly from the TiVo, after which it would progress to the TiVo menu screen ... and then reset again. Before I resorted to KickStart codes, I decided to remove the CableCard ... but it still restarted. The key here was disconnecting the coaxial cable feed, which heavily implies the MoCa was responsible. With the TiVo chugging away, to immense relief, I re-seated the CableCard, and reconnected the coax. And so far, so good.

Sooo, my question is: What's so flaky about MoCa that causes these odd reboots?

I can't say we've seen that.

To be sure it's MoCa related, can you try it with Wifi or ethernet?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
      I can't say we've seen that.

To be sure it's MoCa related, can you try it with Wifi or ethernet?
      The Roamio is not near an accessible Ethernet connection, but WiFi doesn't seem to cause problems.

Comment

So maybe it's the speed of the pipe? The TiVo doesn't have to convert as fast for Wifi as it does for MoCa.

Are you using MoCa bridging here?

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
          So maybe it's the speed of the pipe? The TiVo doesn't have to convert as fast for Wifi as it does for MoCa.

Are you using MoCa bridging here?
          Yes, I have a MoCa bridge to the cable modem (cable coax IN, coax OUT to cable modem), with an Ethernet cable to the router. I used to have a standalone TiVo Stream off the router, but given the built-in streams in the Roamios, I disconnected it.

Just to reiterate, streaming works well, as well as scheduling, browsing, and reviewing To-Do lists, and on both iPhone and iPad apps. The flaky restarts happen with the iPad app only attempting to access My Shows, and SOMETIMES when searching for shows on both iPads and iPhones. And now with this latest restart cycle that was only broken when the MoCa connection was temporarily broken by removing the coax IN to the Roamio.

Remember, none of this was an issue several months ago.
          Last edited by TishTash; 08-08-2016, 03:16 PM.

Comment

My best guess here would be early stage hard drive failure. Try running an overnight kickstart and see what you find:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-hd-tests.php

Comment

Working...
            X