Wired network stopped working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wired network stopped working

I have had my Romio TCD846500 setup and working for a couple of years at my house. A month ago my router failed and I had to replace it. Now my roamio won't connect to the internet or my mini. I watch the Roamio boot, and the network lights on the rj45 blink a couple of times, then go dark and remain that way forever. If I pull the network cable from the roamio and plug it into a laptop that has wireless turned off the laptop will have internet access. I believe this means the network is working. I have gone into the networking menu on the roamio, and switched it to wifi and the TIVO programming downloads and works correctly "and will connect to the mini, but will loose the connection with a message that says my wifi is to slow" . I would just move on except that the mini needs a wired connection. Is it possible to replace just the network card on the roamio? I don't have the moca option because of cabling issues, and just want to get it back up on the wired network.
    Thanks

There's a possibility that a USB network adapter will work on a Roamio - we haven't seen a failed ethernet port on one yet, so we haven't tried it.

Is the new router using DHCP? Have you updated the firmware on it?

Can you try a different port on it and a different ethernet line to your unit, just temporarily?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
      There's a possibility that a USB network adapter will work on a Roamio - we haven't seen a failed ethernet port on one yet, so we haven't tried it.

Is the new router using DHCP? Have you updated the firmware on it?

Can you try a different port on it and a different ethernet line to your unit, just temporarily?
      Michael, thanks for replying. I didn't want to mislead, but a lot of people don't understand all the terminology. Specifically my "ethernet over powerline box failed" these are rumored to not work with TIVO,"mine has been working for a couple years" and I just didn't want everyone to jump in to tell me that it wasn't working for that reason. My router is the same. So.....did I understand you that I can get a usb to rj45 adapter and use that? Any specific one?
      Thanks

Comment

If you were using Powerline, you should really just move the Roamio to the location of the actual router first and try it with a new patch cable. Just do that to be sure that the ethernet port has truly failed, because as I said, we've never seen that before in a Roamio, so it feels less likely to be the source of the problem.

I get that your laptop worked there, but I still think moving the Roamio to the router location is worth a try.

Comment

thanks, I tried that early on, and no luck... I am thinking whatever damaged the powerline adapter also damaged the romio. I found a usb to ethernet adapter in my closet. I plan to try is today

Comment

OK - then this is the USB adapter that should work:

https://www.weaknees.com/cart/USB-to...er-usbeth.html

Comment

So....I received the adapter but how do I install it, Or maybe the question is how do I select to use it

Comment

In our tests here, an ethernet cable plugged into the adapter, plugged into the Roamio works fine. If yours isn't working automatically, try a reboot.

If it still isn't working, what is it showing in Network Settings?

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
                  In our tests here, an ethernet cable plugged into the adapter, plugged into the Roamio works fine. If yours isn't working automatically, try a reboot.

If it still isn't working, what is it showing in Network Settings?
                  Ok after a restart the power light came on, but the link light didn't. I have a cable plugged from the usb ethernet adapter direct to my router. In "change network settings" I get a choice of "connect using ethernet", and "modify wireless settings" if I select connect using ethernet it goes to a screen that says "choose network connection" and if I select that it returns to the first screen. Where should the new adapter show up?

Comment

when I said power light came on, but the link light didn't. I meant the power light, and link light on the usb adapter

Comment

Originally posted by yachtsteve View Post
                      Ok after a restart the power light came on, but the link light didn't. I have a cable plugged from the usb ethernet adapter direct to my router. In "change network settings" I get a choice of "connect using ethernet", and "modify wireless settings" if I select connect using ethernet it goes to a screen that says "choose network connection" and if I select that it returns to the first screen. Where should the new adapter show up?
                      So you can't choose the network connection details? Like would you be able to enter an IP address instead of using DHCP for example? If it's just short-circuiting back to the main menu, then that could be a software corruption problem.

Comment

I started the kickstart 54 test yesterday, passed the first tests, but now says offline scan running time est. 458:00 ----------time elapsed 680:00 could this be indicative of a problem? I would like your thoughts on how much longer to allow it to run.

Comment

The overnight test can take up to 24 hours, depending on the size of the drive in the unit.

Comment

Guys,

I'm having the exact same problem. My TiVo Roamio lost the Ethernet port during a storm, and I purchased the WK USB adapter to get it working again. Though it can connect, it doesn't stay connected. And wireless would be fine, but I also have a Mini the requires a wired connection. Everything the original poster he said has happened to me as well. Are you all sure this adapter works?

Comment

I don't understand what you mean when you say it doesn't stay connected. Does the adapter physically fall out? Does the setup change on its own?

Comment

Working...
                              X