Home AV Networking Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home AV Networking Questions

Hey Tivo users. I need thoughts and opinions about what equipment we should upgrade to. We are nearing completion of a new home. I had the low voltage contractor install coax and Ethernet drops at all of the locations where we might place a television. the central point of these connections is in a closet upstairs. However, I don't want to take up a lot of room in that closet since it's my daughter's bedroom closet (I was disappointed that the contractor put it there, but he said it would be the best place for WiFi broadcasting). Also, we have a shelved nook in a closet behind the fireplace where I want to centralize my home's AV equipment. Several of the rooms have speakers installed, and I imagine putting an audio system there (more on this later). We will have a TV over the fireplace, and I had the low voltage contractor run lines from the mantle to the nook in this closet. I imagine that I'll need a IR extension cable of some sort to run from the mantle to the nook. Is there such a thing? I'll need one that's about 6 ft long. The contractor left me a "fish line" so I can run this later.

I would like thoughts, ideas, opinions about what Tivo equipment I should upgrade to (we are big Tivo fans... we have a premier and two series 2 units all w lifetime service). The Bolt looks like a nice choice, and I think I can just purchase the smaller Minis for use in the bedroom, patio, and media room. Does Bolt connect to the Mini via WiFi, via coax, or via Ethernet?

Finally, and this is not a Tivo question, but what thoughts do any of you have about AV equipment that I can use to connect an apple or android device to, so that we can stream music throughout the house? I'd like to find something that has a tuner so we can just pipe radio through the house, also. Again, I only have speakers run at this time, but all of the speaker wires (except for the home theater speakers) run to this nook behind the fireplace.

Many thanks,
    Massey

I would suggest a TiVo Bolt or TiVo Bolt Plus, with two Minis.

All must be hard-wired, but it sounds like you have Ethernet running to all rooms, which is great.

All units have RF remotes that do not require a line of sight.

Most AV receivers now have multiple HDMI ports, making it easy to connect AppleTVs, etc. to run to your TV along with your TiVo.

Comment

Thanks Jeff! I thought that the Bolt or Bolt Plus would be good options. I'll research AV receivers. Now, all we need to do is finish the house

Comment

Working...
      X