Mildly noisy reading / writing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mildly noisy reading / writing

The behavior of the lights of the external hard drives have varied in the past depending on the different capacities and brands, I assume. There used to be (very bright) blue lights on both top & bottom, with the top sharing a red flashing light indicating actual hard drive activity. Then there was only one blue light at the top, with no more red activity indicator.

Now with the 8TB external, the blue light is at the bottom, and the red activity light is back, now at the top by itself.

My question regards the noise this latest hard drive makes. As the red light flashes, one can audibly hear what I can only imagine is the read-write head doing its thing. In addition, you can feel it when placing a hand on the enclosure: a weak vibration, similar to a haptic feedback.

The unit's been working fine, save once when it was stuck on the "Waking Up" screen. However, it continued to record in this state, and even responded to the iOS app, including streaming (!); it never self-restarted. Manually unplugging and replugging the unit brought it back to the TiVo main menu.

Anyway, should I be concerned about the (slight) scratching/vibration in conjunction with the activity light? They're not unlike the shuffling you hear in some laptop hard drives, even now; in fact, it's not dissimilar to the noise made by INTERNAL drives in some TiVos. I suppose some of the concern revolves around hearing relative silence in newer hard drives, but I thought maybe the ultra-high capacity 8TB drives were just naturally more noisy/vibratory. Thanks in advance for any revelations.
Working...
X