Tivo Bolt white 4tuner issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tivo Bolt white 4tuner issues

I bought a new tivo bolt a year ago. I have a moca filter installed with an outdoor antenna. It worked great for exactly 6 months. THen the channels where getting pix elated, pausing/freezing etc. Checked the antenna channel strength and was getting low to no signal. Messed with the antenna re-positioning it and never could get a signal on most channels. I hooked the antenna up directly to tv and was getting 95+ strength on all channels, but hooked coax back to bolt the signal dropped. So for $50 tivo exchange my bolt with a refurbed one. Hooked it up and it worked for another 6 months. Doing the same thing now (as of this weekend). and now my $150 yearly renewal is up for renewal. First off. it should have been under warranty (the first replacement). Now this is happening a second time and i'm not comfortable paying more money and it happening again. I see the roamio ota out there at best buy for 359.00 and thinking of buying that as I already have 2 tivo minis as well and this would be no fees. My concern does the roamio ota's have similar issues with the tuners puking? if so can it be repaired? so I can keep the roamio for a long time and just repair it if something happens?

I really haven't seen tuners on a Bolt fail like that.

Why the MoCA filter? Do you have cable internet and are you using that same coax to connect to the Minis?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
      I really haven't seen tuners on a Bolt fail like that.

Why the MoCA filter? Do you have cable internet and are you using that same coax to connect to the Minis?
      Yes, I had cable at one point. and yes have minis on same coax, as I have the antenna hooked to the main bolt and all the minis can view live tv as well. It would not work at first (when I first installed it a year ago) and tivo support said I needed a filter. I had happen to already own one so I put it on and it worked. I just ditched the tivo bolt service. and looking at getting the tivo roamio ota. I really like the all in service thats bundled. I just would hate to have to buy another one within a year if something happens to it. I thought maybe it was a grounding issue from the antenna, but I have since put a pretty expensive surge protector that has a grounding coax on it.

Comment

Have you tried the Bolt without the grounding surge protector? Sometimes, those things can fail and cause problems.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
          Have you tried the Bolt without the grounding surge protector? Sometimes, those things can fail and cause problems.
          Yes, same results. I bought the roamio last night. have it hooked up. everything is working again. The bolt has a built in moca bridge so I will need to get one to use the minis with the roamio as they are not networked in

Comment

The Minis can run right off MoCA - no bridge needed.

Comment

Originally posted by noname_com View Post
              Yes, same results. I bought the roamio last night. have it hooked up. everything is working again. The bolt has a built in moca bridge so I will need to get one to use the minis with the roamio as they are not networked in
              Reading the problems your having with 2 bolts around 6 months after putting them in service. Do you use an amplifier on you antennae? If you do unplug the power supply for the amplifier as I wrecked a tv's tuners by using an amplifier years ago. Had the tuners fixed 6-8 months later same problem. Tech at repair shop after he found I used an amplifier said power it down. Finally replaced tv with a flatscreen HD 11 years later never had a tuner problem after powering down the amplifier. Even digital antennae need to be properly placed for best reception, so if signal falls off a bit raise antennae to as high as you can get pointed in the right direction to improve signal.
              Tuners have an input limit that sometimes is exceeded by amplifiers which if exceeded will over time reduce a tuners effective ability until finally it starts pixelating or freezing due to reduced signal received.

Other thought check you copper wire at all cable connections for a too long wire at a connection. If it's too long it can on the TiVo accidentally ground out and over time give you a similar issue. When looking at a cable connection the center wire should not exceed the threaded connector by more than an 1/8th of an inch. If it's longer trim it by cutting the excess off with a pair of cutters available at any hardware store.

Best of luck and if any of these suggestions helps please get back here and let us know.

Food for thought.

Hope this helps.
              Last edited by Alco5229; 11-17-2016, 11:17 AM.

Comment

When you cut the cable service and went to over the air reception you did remove the cable card? I figure you did but just covering the bases.

Also it might be a good be a good idea to take apart all connections to the antenna and fill with silicone dielectric to prevent corrosion. Corrosion can reduce the signal reaching the tuner significantly. Even if the antennae is indoors tree is still a lot of humidity in the house that can start corrosion in connections.

Comment

sorry for the very long delay in answering. I ended up going with a tivo Roamio and connected to the exact same setup and did not change anything. The bolt definitely had an issue with the tuner/antenna signal. I tried the old bolt after verifying the roamio worked and was still getting poor signal quality.

Comment

Working...
                  X