Endless "Severe Error" loop on DirecTV Tivo R10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Endless "Severe Error" loop on DirecTV Tivo R10

My Series 2 DirecTV Tivo R10 apparently died recently. It is stuck in an endless loop of the following screens:
    • Sunrise "Welcome! Powering up..." (about 2 minutes)
    • "Almost there. Just a few minutes more..." (~ 1 minute)
    • Green screen "A severe error has occurred. Please leave the Recorder plugged in and connected to the phone line for the next three hours while the Recorder attempts to repair itself..." (~ 1 minute, then cycle repeats)

A few salient facts:
    • The cycle endured for well over 3 hours.
    • The problem first occurred following restoration of power after an outage. Before the outage, the R10 had been working fine.
    • The R10 is not plugged directly into the wall. Rather, it's connected through both a surge suppressor and a backup battery power supply.
    • I have a second R10 connected to the same surge suppressor and backup power supply. This second unit suffered no damage, and is still working fine.
    • When the power went out, I immediately placed both R10 units in Standby mode.
    • Both R10 units have been upgraded with Weaknees hard drives. The R10 that failed has a 1 TB drive, installed about 1 year ago.

Any thoughts on possible causes of the severe error, and whether the R10 is repairable will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any guidance.

Ken

It sounds like you have had a hard drive failure. For replacements, see:
    http://www.weaknees.com/r10a.php

If you want, you can try moving the drive from the good R10 to the bad to see if it boots. If it does, you still need to move the drive back to the original R10, but it will tell you if your issue is drive-related. The only risk in this approach is that if you have a bad power supply in the other R10, that could theoretically damage the good drive.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
      It sounds like you have had a hard drive failure.
      Thanks, Jeff. Dang. I was hoping that wasn't the case, since the drive is relatively new (1-2 years).

Before I replace the drive again, is there anything I can do to confirm that the problem is NOT with the power supply or other electronic component?

Comment

Working...
      X