Kickstart 58 Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kickstart 58 Help

I have a Tivo Premiere that has been randomly rebooting (and occasionally getting the GSOD) over the last month or so. I finally looked at some of the threads in the forum and ran a Kickstart 54 SMART drive test last night and got an error 7 fail on the extended test and decided to run the Kickstart 58. The green and amber lights blinked alternately showing that the code was accepted and then rebooted showing it was installing software. Then the screen went blank and all the lights on the front began blinking. Not wanting to interrupt anything I've let it continue to do this and now just the amber, blue, and one red light are blinking but that was after ~an hour. Now at a about the 3 hour point nothing has changed. Still seeing the amber, blue, and one red light blinking. Nothing is being displayed on the TV by the way. Is this normal? Should I unplug the unit and let it sit and then plug it back in to let it try and reboot?

By the way, this is the first time attempting any of the KS codes.

Appreciate any help/advice.

Given the fail that you got, you've definitely got a bad drive. So, ultimately, you'll need a new drive:

http://www.weaknees.com/upgrades.php

Short term, you can try pulling the plug to reboot it, but don't expect it to last long even if it does boot.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks for quick reply. I did, in fact, pull the plug and no dice on the boot. I guess running the diagnostics on the failing drive pushed it over the edge. Was already planning on purchasing a replacement drive and now the question of when is answered.

Comment

I also have a Tivo Premiere that is stuck in a boot loop. I disconnected an external HDD from the Tivo the other day. I got the message to hit clear, then thumbs down 3 times and enter. I did all of that, then my tivo got stuck in a boot loop. It starts on the welcome screen, goes to the just a few more minutes, then reboots to the welcome screen. I did the kickstart 54 SMART HDD Test, and all showed as passed. Can I use the 58 code to reinstall the software and then hopefully boot back into the Tivo or is there another method I can use to fix this?

Comment

You can try the 58, but likely you really have a problem on the boot drive.

How old is the boot drive?

Have you tried the Overnight test under kickstart 57?

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
            You can try the 58, but likely you really have a problem on the boot drive.

How old is the boot drive?

Have you tried the Overnight test under kickstart 57?
            I have not tried the over night test. I can try that. The drive came with the Tivo. I got it in 2011, so 6 years or so. Any other recommendations for this?

Comment

Try that - sounds like a bad drive, and six years is probably the average life for a drive in a Premiere.

Comment

Working...
              X