TiVo HD Series 3 TCD652160 video pixilates on cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TiVo HD Series 3 TCD652160 video pixilates on cable

I have three TiVo HD Series 3 TCD652160 units, with Lifetime Tivo service, and one of them has started acting up on cable input
    My problem is that one unit pixilates and loses video and audio when connected to cable service.
    The other two Tivo units are working fine.
    Things tried are:
    1) moved unit to another location and input cable....no change
    2) swapped CableCards from a different Tivo........no change
    3) connected direct to cable input without any splitter to the other Tivo units.........no change
    4) Ordered new hard drive from Weakknees and installed.........no change
    5) moved one of the other Tivo units to this location and it worked fine
    6) CableCard from the problem Tivo works fine in one of the other Tivo units
    7) using the Tivo diagnostics, on BOTH tuners, the signal strength goes from 0(zero) to 43. When it does this, the "signal lock" goes from yes to no. This corresponds with the audio going off and on.
    With one of my other Tivo units connected to this same cable hook up, the signal strength is 100.

What next???
    Last edited by Ronnie44; 02-01-2017, 01:38 PM.

That's almost definitely a bad power supply. With three units, you can swap a power supply and see.

You can also do a visual check to look for bad capacitors. See this page:

http://www.weaknees.com/bps
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I'll try swapping power supplies from one of the other units. I did have to upgrade the capacitors on one of the units in the past so I know that that is no big deal.
      Thanks, I will give it a try.
      Ron

Comment

I had previously changed out the capacitors on another power supply so I still had plenty of new capacitors left. When I ordered the capacitors before( both 2200 and 1000) it was less expensive to order a bag of 25 than to order just a few. I also ordered 25 volt capacitors to replace the Tivo factory 10 volt capacitors for a little extra protection. In any case, I changed out six capacitors that were swollen and the unit works just fine now.
        I appreciate all of the help and I would have bet money that I had a tuner problem, instead of a power supply problem. That's why Weakknees is the experts. Thanks again for all of your help.

Comment

Excellent - glad to you hear you got it working properly again!
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
          X