S4 Premier Losing ALL Guide Info Every Few Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S4 Premier Losing ALL Guide Info Every Few Days

I thought this was a random thing, but now my S4P loses ALL Guide information for EVERY channel every couple of days. ALL channels in Guide say "To be announced". I have found that restarting the box restores the Guide info, but this is getting annoying. I am not sure if this is a software or hardware problem.
    I have tried manually connecting to Tivo service; it connects, does something, but no Guide info gets populated. I have checked network and last connection dates/statuses and all indicate everything is fine.
    So can someone give me some guidance on what might be causing this and if it can be fixed????

Sounds like a bad drive to me - the data is getting corrupted and discarded.

You can have the TiVo test the drive with the built-in kickstart tests. Be sure to run the "overnight" test:

http://www.weaknees.com/54
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

SMART Tests in KS54 Ran

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
      Sounds like a bad drive to me - the data is getting corrupted and discarded.

You can have the TiVo test the drive with the built-in kickstart tests. Be sure to run the "overnight" test:

http://www.weaknees.com/54
      OK, I have run all of the SMART Tests and they have all PASSED. The tests Initial State, Short Test, Conveyance Test, Extended Test and Off-line Scan. There is no Overnight option on the SMART Tests menu. I did find it on the HD Performance Test Menu, BUT, when I select it, first it is trying to access /dev/hdb (there is none), then it switches to "Read, random locations on /dev/sda" but IMMEDIATELY says "TEST FAILED", SMART enable/disable failed" and it will not let me run the overnight test.

How do I get this overnight test to run?

BTW: Thanks for your assistance.

Les

Comment

Ran all SMART tests - all pass. Tried to run the "Overnight" test but it comes back instantly with "Failed". Is there a trick to running this test on the Series 4 Premier?

Comment

Things are slightly different for each model, but it sure sounds like you are just having a drive failure.

Does the middle-length test also fail immediately?

Comment

I am having the same issue and the drive diagnostic doesn't show a problem. Doing a restart always restores the guide, however. During the last restart my unit updated to 20.7, so we'll see if the problem persists.

Comment

Drive Replaced; Guide STILL Loses All Data

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
              Things are slightly different for each model, but it sure sounds like you are just having a drive failure.

Does the middle-length test also fail immediately?
              So rather than continue with the diagnostics, I replaced the drive with a brand new 1TB Western Digital Blue yesterday. Today, I checked the Guide and once again the ENTIRE guide says "To be announced", so it is NOT the HDD. I am beginning to think this is a software problem of some kind. Do you have any other ideas that may help me resolve this very annoying issue?

Once again, thanks for taking the time to respond to my and all the other user posts in this forum.

Comment

Try choosing a different cable line-up or provider when you go through setup. Or you can choose "none" and see if that helps.

Also, what are the first 3 digits of your TiVo service number and your complete software version?

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
                  Try choosing a different cable line-up or provider when you go through setup. Or you can choose "none" and see if that helps.

Also, what are the first 3 digits of your TiVo service number and your complete software version?
                  1st 3 digits of Tivo Service number: 746

Complete s/w version: 20.7.1.RC2-01-2-746

Are u suggesting I re-run Guided Setup? Not sure I understand why this would help or change anything. From a Tivo restart, the Guide data is populated correctly and contains a full 2 weeks of program data for all channels. Then, at very random times, ALL Guide data disappears and every entry says "To be announced". A reboot restores all of the Guide data until the next time the glitch occurs.

Comment

How did you get the OS onto the new WD Blue drive that you installed?

Comment

This is a known issue with the Premiere models that started with the big Rovi Guide conversion back in Sept 2016. It's happened to me 8 times now since the day my Premiere got the Rovi guide. Re-Running Guided Setup, nor Clear and Delete Guide Data, nor Clear the To Do List etc does anything to prevent TBA from happening again. The good thing is that our scheduled recordings still record even when the guide says To Be Announced, so the data is there - it's just not being displayed in the Guide. Tivo is aware of the issue and claims to be working on a fix. For now, we just Restart the Tivo from within the Help Menu and that immediately restores Guide Data. Hoping Tivo figures this out, it is annoying.

Comment

I found a website that contained links to a Linux ISO file that I downloaded and then created a bootable USB thumbdrive from. Using a desktop PC with ONLY the original Tivo drive and the new WD drive, I booted to the Linux image on the thumbdrive and used it's "Copy" option to clone the drive. Then, since the new drive is larger than OEM Tivo drive, I chose the "Expand" option to increase the recording space available to the Premier. This all worked without any issue.

The website is: http://www.rosswalker.co.uk/tivo_upg...linux_premiere
                        The ISO I downloaded is: premiere_linux_inc_supersize_jmfs-rev104.iso

I would presume that the jmfs Linux pkg is doing a sector-by-sector copy.

Comment

If since Sept 2016 your Guide TBA'd only 8 times consider yourself lucky! Mine sometimes gets lost as frequently as 2 or 3 times a DAY. Dam annoying! Is there any further info about this problem anywhere on Tivo web site? Did you every try to open an "offical" problem ticket with Tivo?

Comment

Originally posted by LesFromIL View Post
                            I found a website that contained links to a Linux ISO file that I downloaded and then created a bootable USB thumbdrive from. Using a desktop PC with ONLY the original Tivo drive and the new WD drive, I booted to the Linux image on the thumbdrive and used it's "Copy" option to clone the drive. Then, since the new drive is larger than OEM Tivo drive, I chose the "Expand" option to increase the recording space available to the Premier. This all worked without any issue.

The website is: http://www.rosswalker.co.uk/tivo_upg...linux_premiere
                            The ISO I downloaded is: premiere_linux_inc_supersize_jmfs-rev104.iso

I would presume that the jmfs Linux pkg is doing a sector-by-sector copy.
                            The problem here is, if the old drive was bad, you copied over the corrupt data to the new drive. The OS won't really repair itself.

I think a new drive formatted with a fresh OS is still the best next step.

Comment

Originally posted by LesFromIL View Post
                              If since Sept 2016 your Guide TBA'd only 8 times consider yourself lucky! Mine sometimes gets lost as frequently as 2 or 3 times a DAY. Dam annoying! Is there any further info about this problem anywhere on Tivo web site? Did you every try to open an "offical" problem ticket with Tivo?
                              Tivo/Rovi Support is pretty much useless so i didn't open a trouble ticket with them. But according to posts in the NO PROGRAM GUIDE thread on the TCF Premiere forum, Tivo is aware of it and supposedly working on it so i'm just riding it out and hoping they figure it out and fix it. In the meantime, i check my guide every morning. Odd that it's just on the S4 Premieres, and not on any other series.

Comment

Working...
                              X